X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vernz
    Experienced
    • Jul 12 2008

Need help picking proper brake master cylinder rebuild kit

I finally got around to attempting to install a master cylinder rebuild kit that I bought a year ago or so and, lo and behold, it does not fit. This is in a 1960 Thunderbird with factory a/c and power brakes. I bought a kit from Rockauto, Raybestos MK208, that has a piston and interior parts that are 1 1/8" diameter. My existing interior parts are 1 inch diameter. Looking at the rock auto catalog, it appears that the ACDELCO 18G1226 rebuild kit would be the correct one, but Rock auto does not give the piston diameter and I could not find any information on line. Can anyone help me with the correct kit to buy before I waste more money?

Thanks, Vern
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Raybestos MK252 is the correct kit for the 1" bore.
    Carl

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If your master cylinder is 1" then it was replaced with the incorrect one. It should be 1 1/8" with factory air. Most likely whoever replaced it couldn't find one and used the 1" non-A/C master cylinder. What is the number on the master cylinder. It should be on the side. Without the part number you have no way of knowing whether they replaced it with a power brake M/C or manual brake M/C. That will help figure out which rebuild kit is the correct one. As Carl said MK252 in the correct power brake 1" kit.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

When new, the Power Brake equipped cars were supplied with the 1-1/8" master cylinder. At replacement time though many were replaced with the 1" which is the only one available today. This is correct for cars equipped with Standard Brakes (non-power). The 1-1/8 has long been obsolete and I've only seen a few but have seen a hundred or so 1". I've had some 1-1/8" resleeved and find that they give a better pedal response than the 1".
        Carl

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Carl brings up a good point. If the bore on your master cylinder is badly scored like most that I've seen just putting in a rebuild kit won't work. It'll probably leak. I'm not sure if you can get it rebored to 1 1/8" or not. If so you can use the kit you have.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• partsetal
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 4 2005

I've had the 1" master cylinders evaluated by a machine shop to possibly bore out to 1-1/8" and they said no, not enough meat to safely cut that far.
            Carl

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

By a rebuild and use your old one as a core.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎