Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mihajee
    • Mar 29 2009

Transmission Retro Fit 65 TBird

Has anyone retro-fitted a modern trans in place of Cruisomatics? I have been told by trans repairer that the cruisomatics are not a strong unit & are hard to get some parts.
    I have 420 HP in my 390 so Im a bit concerned for the transmission even though I have had new plates etc fitted to trans.
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

There are some companies out there that make adapters for FE to run a later 4 speed auto, but the adapters are spendy.

Seems like when I checked into it, they ran $700.

If you want the web sites, I could see if I bookmarked them.

I decided it wasn't worth the coin at this point.

Comment

• mihajee
      • Mar 29 2009

Any leads would be appreciated.

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Go down the web page quite a bit and you will see the adapters to run an aod or a 700r4 on an FE block.

Cost - 850

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/c4...m#Transmission Parts

Their adapters are priced at 750

These are the two I had bookmarked.

Comment

• mihajee
          • Mar 29 2009

Thanks for that,

Have you heard of anyone who has converted a 66 trans (C6) to suit a 65. These boxes are fairly strong but the bell housing etc would be different as I think they had 428s in them?

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by mihajee

Have you heard of anyone who has converted a 66 trans (C6) to suit a 65. These boxes are fairly strong but the bell housing etc would be different as I think they had 428s in them?
            The C6 is a common swap, same bell pattern as your CRUISE-O-MATIC.

Comment

• mihajee
              • Mar 29 2009

That simplifies things a bit. What about rear x member, length of trans & linkage set up.

Comment

• KULTULZ

That simplifies things a bit. What about rear x member, length of trans & linkage set up.
                There are a few here that have done this swap. I will let one of them give you the details.

Comment

• mihajee
                  • Mar 29 2009

Thanks,
                  It would be great to be in touch with someone who's actually been there before.
                  I wasnt looking forward to try & reinvent the wheel on this one.

Regards Tony

Comment

• KULTULZ

It would be great to be in touch with someone who's actually been there before.

I wasnt looking forward to try & reinvent the wheel on this one.

Regards Tony
                    I am surprised no one has helped you so far. There was a lively discussion on this matter just a few weeks ago. It had a number of good points. Try the SEARCH feature and maybe you will come across it.

Comment

• thev8guy
                      • May 23 2009

Hi i'm new to Forum, I have a 65 over here in New Zealand with a factory fitted 427, that runs a Cruiso (FMX) its been built by a guy over here, Chuck Mann - Rotorua V8 Performance (As his name would suggest, he's the man!).. Shift kitted, higher stall TC etc the my 427 is 450HP and the FMX will handle it no trouble! Just need to use a trans cooler.. Also a Local Mechanic has a 65 with a factory 427, that still runs a FMX and it would be around 400-430HP.. He told me he put a C6 in but it didnt last long so he rebuilt the FMX (about 15 years ago) and its still going strong..

PS. Good to see some fellow Thunderbirders from NZ on here! (Scumdog saw an earlyer post of yours, I can help you out with parts just PM me.) Alistair your thunderchook is looking wicked! I'll be in touch about the AirBags, going to put the same in my 65 but with a 4 link rear..

Cheers Earle

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by thev8guy
                        PS. Good to see some fellow Thunderbirders from NZ on here! (Scumdog saw an earlyer post of yours, I can help you out with parts just PM me.) Alistair your thunderchook is looking wicked! I'll be in touch about the AirBags, going to put the same in my 65 but with a 4 link rear..

Cheers Earle
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2080960
                        Thanks Earle!

I was under the impression a COM is a different trans to an FMX, can anybody clear that one up?

Oh, and check your PMs!
                        Last edited by scumdog; May 24, 2009, 05:12 AM.
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by scumdog

I was under the impression a COM is a different trans to an FMX, can anybody clear that one up?
                          The CRUISEOMATIC (FX-MX-LX) (1958-1968) and FMX (1968- ) while similiar, are completely different trans. The FMX can take a lot of abuse.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎