X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

my '58

I'm sure some on this site wont like it, but I think its cool because it is different. Purple wouldnt be my first choice for car colors, but it grew on me the more I looked at it.

It gets delivered next week. As you can see, the rear fenders were modified. The motor is a 460 big block attached to a C6 auto trans and a 9 inch rear end with 4.10 gears. And the Cherry Bomb mufflers are a nice finishing touch.

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

my '58

Congratulations, Greg! That oughta get up and go big time! Good luck with it!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Yellowbird
      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Congratulations Greg!
      If she was mine I think I would have to name her "Purple Haze". Kinda dates me doesn't it?
      Have fun with your new ride!

Leonard
      sigpic

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

The car looks like you can challange anyone down the street Greg.
        Í also notice that the previos owner have done exactly what I like to do with my ´58, and it is to bring in the ´60 doors and those corners that connect the dash and the doors. Way cooool!
        Last edited by Anders; July 9, 2009, 12:52 AM.
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Coral
          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Yer right Greg, some won't 'care' for it, but they won't cramp YOUR style, cause its yourz not theirs, and we ALL relish the ideal that Alexander began with this site, we all are welcome, and anything we want for 'our' birds is Good!

Now, lets talk about those silly wheels...NO I'm kidding!!

I love purple, and even though this is a bit dark for me, it appears to be a solid paint job, yer interior and motor look just as grand.... I'm glad you are excited about your Bird and Best of Luck at the shows!
          ( we expect a report of all speeding tickets... )

Comment

• Penelope
            Super-Experienced
            • Mar 4 2008

Nice car Greg, I like it and for what you paid for it, I reckon it is a steal. If it goes like it looks, hang on tight!
            sigpicBill
            Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

Greg
              I love what you did to your car,To each his own I bet you will turn alot of heads as you tool downtown, be sure to tighten your seat belt when you take off. Great Job.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

I dont mind the wheels that are on it now. I like cars that have a bit of a drag-race look to them.

But I am open to suggestions... Where is a good place online to get wheels? Seems it's nothing but 22" spinners that they sell at the local shops around here....

The seller did say that the front and rear lights "arent hooked up yet". So that will be my first project. Not sure how big a deal this is, since this is my first old car.

The motor has maybe 5 or 10 miles on it since it was re-built. The seller had been working on it for the last 10 years for his kid, but his kid wanted a pickup truck, so I think he basically said "ok fine, I'm not working on it anymore" and wanted the car out of his shop so he could move on to other car projects. So there may be a few loose ends (like the light wiring) to tie up.

I've restored/refurbished several old motocross bikes (one, a 1984 Honda CR500, I still race in the +40 age class) and I did a '73 John Deere snowmobile last year. Stepping up to a car seems to be a tall order, but I think I can learn as I go. Body work scares me, so I made sure I didnt buy something that needed all of that sort of thing. I dont have a big shop to work in; just my garage.
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• tarps3
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 21 2003

JohnG is our resident electrical guru/wizard. Ask him about any wiring issues you may encounter.

I think there is also a wiring diagram floating around here somewhere.

Nice car - well bought.

Have fun with it and use the "search" function on this site.
                  There is more info about these birds here than anywhere else on the web.

CONGRATS!
                  Casey

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

my '58

Places online to look for wheels.

Since our industry defining introduction in 1956, American Racing wheels have been a leader in automotive performance, style, and culture.

Ehubcap.com is a Premier Online Store for Hubcaps, Centercaps, Pickup Hub Caps, Rim Center Cap, Trucks and SUV Center caps and Wheel Hubcap Accessories

OEM Factory Wheels, Factory Original Wheels, Used Rims, Wheels and Rims, OEM Rims, Factory, Original, Used, OEM, Alloy, Stock, Rims, Wheels, OriginalWheels.com

That should keep ya busy for awhile! You can find a lot more by just Googling for Auto wheels or rims..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Coral
                      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                      I dont mind the wheels that are on it now. I like cars that have a bit of a drag-race look to them.

But I am open to suggestions... Where is a good place online to get wheels? Seems it's nothing but 22" spinners that they sell at the local shops around here....

The seller did say that the front and rear lights "arent hooked up yet". So that will be my first project. Not sure how big a deal this is, since this is my first old car.

The motor has maybe 5 or 10 miles on it since it was re-built. The seller had been working on it for the last 10 years for his kid, but his kid wanted a pickup truck, so I think he basically said "ok fine, I'm not working on it anymore" and wanted the car out of his shop so he could move on to other car projects. So there may be a few loose ends (like the light wiring) to tie up.

I've restored/refurbished several old motocross bikes (one, a 1984 Honda CR500, I still race in the +40 age class) and I did a '73 John Deere snowmobile last year. Stepping up to a car seems to be a tall order, but I think I can learn as I go. Body work scares me, so I made sure I didnt buy something that needed all of that sort of thing. I dont have a big shop to work in; just my garage.
                      Not sure what it is about kids wanting pickup trucks! My eldest did the same thing, only I hadn't put large coin into the very cute Dodge Duster, so it wasn't a defeat on my end, LOL

Ask any questions...if you can't find the answer HERE...we will hunt it down for you!

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

You know what, your car would look good with a set of late model Mustang Bullits on it, or a set of torque thrusts from the appliance custom shop.

Here is my 58 with the bullits

I bet with your car looks like your running a narrowed 9" from the looks of it, you could probably fit some 17x11 in the rear with some 315x35x17 on the rear. That would look wicked. Run a 17x8 up front with some 245x45x17.

Here is a pic of the Torque Thrust TTM with the smooth lip, it would look nice with the color I think. Oh and lower the car about 2"

Comment

Hey Rusty,
                          Man them look great! May not be any of my business, but what did they cost?
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

• RustyNCa
                            Super-Experienced
                            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                            Hey Rusty,
                            Man them look great! May not be any of my business, but what did they cost?
                            Richard D. Hord
                            They are a set of take offs(IE a customer came in and changed out to some after market wheels on their stang) I got from a local tire shop I deal with alot. I paid 250 for the set with tires , then bought a set of Ford Racing center caps off ebay for 40, then needed a set of spacers to clear things off ebay for $60, so I am in the setup all of $350. Tire size 245x40 up front and 275x35 in the rear if I remember right.

Long term I plan on going to the TTMs or some Foose wheels, they wheels aren't perfect FWIW. But I think it looks pretty good for the cost.

Thanks by the way.

Comment

• Coral
                              Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

OK, not gonna follow the initials.... plz rember there are folks here that dont talk PC?

FWIW = * I think * for what i want

its not talking down, its talking TO people that have USED and lived with the same machinery you are trying to play with now, and I can say that cause Im an elder, LOL
                              We just dont jive words up with a single letter...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎