X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Howard ~ olevet Has A Problem...

Howard just emailed me and I do not know the answer to his problem. I will post what he said and the pix he sent me. Hopefully, someone can help him fix this problem.

"I had the dash pad replaced and the windshield is out of the car
    The trim pieces won't line up right any suggestions
    Thanks"

Here are the two pix he sent.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There wasn't enough padding removed. You can't just put the dash in as is. You need to remove a lot of the inside padding, especially around the radio and the portion where the brackets are above the instrument panel and glove box.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

In over 25 years I have only seen one dash pad that fit correctly. I asked how it was done, and the restorer told me that he spent a lot of time working with the dash pad manufacturer to get it right. They claim to use 'Original Ford Tooling', but you can see the results on every Squarebird that has a new dash pad. With my Show car I spent an awful lot of time trimming foam, heating, stretching and fitting but was only able to get the groove very close to the molding. Since your windshield is out you have another option to use in addition to trimming the foam-move the molding until it fits the groove, and if you are satisfied with the gap between the molding and the windshield gasket, drill new holes for the molding (flat black paint in the gap makes the gap less noticeable). When I'm working with a dash pad that someone else replaced, I've moved the molding as far rearward as I could and still be able to reach the holes with the screws, not perfect, but less noticeable. If I had the time, I would make moldings that were an inch wider to deal with this problem.
      Carl

Comment

• olevet
        Experienced
        • Jan 28 2015

Will i have to take the dash back out to trim the foam out?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Even when I get it to where the molding is in the groove at the center of the windshield by the time it gets to the curve it's way off again. As Carl mentioned don't expect it to fit like the original factory dash. Was the pad put on with the metal frame in the car or was the frame removed. I've found that you get a lot better results if you fit the dash to the frame with it out of the car. I've done it both ways though.

John

Comment

• olevet
            Experienced
            • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
            Even when I get it to where the molding is in the groove at the center of the windshield by the time it gets to the curve it's way off again. As Carl mentioned don't expect it to fit like the original factory dash. Was the pad put on with the metal frame in the car or was the frame removed. I've found that you get a lot better results if you fit the dash to the frame with it out of the car. I've done it both ways though.

John
            Not sure , I had the guy that did some upholstery work for me replace it, Then the Paint guy guy took it completely out, Im positive NO trimming took place though,

Is it Glued in place ?

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by olevet
              Will i have to take the dash back out to trim the foam out?
              Yes, the dash needs to be removed to trim the foam padding.

John

Comment

• olevet
                Experienced
                • Jan 28 2015

Yes, the dash needs to be removed to trim the foam padding.

John
                Thanks, was afraid of that
                The excess pad explains why my people who were helping had such a hard time getting things to line up and work,

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It pays to check the Technical Resource Library first. There are a couple of articles on replacing a dash pad. It would've saved you some grief.

John

Comment

• olevet
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 28 2015

It pays to check the Technical Resource Library first. There are a couple of articles on replacing a dash pad. It would've saved you some grief.

John
                    The dash was done quite a few years ago. Just now trying to get it all back together.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

I thought I was one of the only ones having a problem with the fit of the molding behind the windshield. Now I feel better about the fit I ended up with. Like Howard, my dashpad was installed years ago and now I've finally got it installed.
                      Nyles

Comment

• Tbird1044
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 31 2012

Show Car

Carl:
                        Do you have any pictures of your show car? I looked in our Rides and didn't find anything. Would love to see it.
                        Nyles

Originally posted by partsetal
                        In over 25 years I have only seen one dash pad that fit correctly. I asked how it was done, and the restorer told me that he spent a lot of time working with the dash pad manufacturer to get it right. They claim to use 'Original Ford Tooling', but you can see the results on every Squarebird that has a new dash pad. With my Show car I spent an awful lot of time trimming foam, heating, stretching and fitting but was only able to get the groove very close to the molding. Since your windshield is out you have another option to use in addition to trimming the foam-move the molding until it fits the groove, and if you are satisfied with the gap between the molding and the windshield gasket, drill new holes for the molding (flat black paint in the gap makes the gap less noticeable). When I'm working with a dash pad that someone else replaced, I've moved the molding as far rearward as I could and still be able to reach the holes with the screws, not perfect, but less noticeable. If I had the time, I would make moldings that were an inch wider to deal with this problem.
                        Carl

Comment

• olevet
                          Experienced
                          • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                          I thought I was one of the only ones having a problem with the fit of the molding behind the windshield. Now I feel better about the fit I ended up with. Like Howard, my dashpad was installed years ago and now I've finally got it installed.
                          Nyles
                          The pad was replaced several years ago, I was just in the last year able to get back to trying to get the car on the road.After the Paint guy got done it was at my friends shop and they were putting the interior back together, Only when it Got here to My shop did I notice things not fitting correctly

Comment

• Randy
                            Experienced
                            • Dec 21 2015

Rnndy's taking notes
                            "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
                            Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• olevet
                              Experienced
                              • Jan 28 2015

Originally posted by Randy
                              Rnndy's taking notes
                              LOL
                              Ive decided to just leave it alone since its already back in the car . Doesn't appear I would gain much by redoing it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎