X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

Need ideas of how to do a stereo in the white 65

So I would like to see photos of how anyone else has done it.

This is for the one that will become the 16 years olds car, so think kid stereo.....

I was just on crutchfields site looking for speakers for the 66. They fit in the door panels. They'er 4 buy 10 and I bought the stock grills on ebay. I guess I'm workin backwards. But seems the way to go. Did a 65 have cut outs in the door panels? If not I'll measure mine. As for the RADIO I don't no what i'm going to do yet. I'll let ya know

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tbirds8
      I was just on crutchfields site looking for speakers for the 66. They fit in the door panels. They'er 4 buy 10 and I bought the stock grills on ebay. I guess I'm workin backwards. But seems the way to go. Did a 65 have cut outs in the door panels? If not I'll measure mine. As for the RADIO I don't no what i'm going to do yet. I'll let ya know
      No, I don't have cutouts on the doors, could you send me a pic of yours.

Regarding the deck, stay away from the cutsom autosound stuff. I had one in my olds, it was awful. I have talked with at least three car audio shops about them, and they all told me the same thing, they gave up on them and won't sell them. All said it takes at least four to five units to get one that works correctly.

My plan is to get an underdash install kit, paint it to match the dash. Or mount the deck in the trunk and use a remote to run it. My worry about that is you can't see what the deck is doing, which beyond radio and volume would leave you guessing.

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

One vendor sells the OE radio AM/FM conversion units that even include modern RCA jacks in the rear- on an exchange basis. This new radio even puts out more wattage for the speakers too!! Maybe it was Bob's Bird House??

I plan on going that way with my '60, I have already purchased another "core" AM radio, as my OE AM radio still works!!!
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Jon:

Do you remember about what the cost would be to do that?
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430
          Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

I'm going a bit different with my '62. Althiough it's been significantly modified I want the interior to look stock. I'm not going to have a head unit, instead I'll be running my iPod, which will be connected to a five-channel amp in the trunk. Two channels for front speakers, two channels for rear, and one for the sub. I plan on making new kick panels that protrude a bit further into the footwell for the front speakers, and as the rear tray's alreday been buthcehetrd for rear speakers I'll put them in there, but mounted underneath with holes punched in new parcel tray upholstery. Apart from aloack of aradio, which I rarely listen to anyway, this should work ok.

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

It was $380 exchange Bart. I think the core was $100 or $150....?

-Jon
              sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

That's probably a good price, considering that it will be a stock look radio. Let me know when you find out who does that conversion.
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430
                Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

Here it is Bart!!

Pat Wilson's Thunderbird sells them for $380 exchange or a $100 core! This new "mod" radio puts out 180 watts of 4-channel stereo sound and looks OE!!!

I think this a great choice as well Bart considering those silly looking USA 1/2 radios cost like $210-300 dollars depending on which one and where you buy them at.

I'll post this over on the 1958-60 forum as well, as there may be other squarebirders who do not know of this radio option....

-Jon
                  sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                    Super-Experienced
                    • May 31 2007

Originally posted by tbird430
                    Here it is Bart!!

Pat Wilson's Thunderbird sells them for $380 exchange or a $100 core! This new "mod" radio puts out 180 watts of 4-channel stereo sound and looks OE!!!

I think this a great choice as well Bart considering those silly looking USA 1/2 radios cost like $210-300 dollars depending on which one and where you buy them at.

I'll post this over on the 1958-60 forum as well, as there may be other squarebirders who do not know of this radio option....

-Jon
                    See and that is the problem I see with them, only a 4 channel, I need at least 6 channels

We have a plan, kind of, they are supposed to get back to me with the cost of what I want to do.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎