X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

tri-power setup

I have a general question for the group...

I have a factory correct 352 in my Tbird that has been bored out at 30-over. I have restored everything in the engine bay to look factory original.

Now, here's the fun part: I have a friend with a factory tri-power setup that came off a '62 (I believe) TBird with a 390 engine.
    I know that a lot of these FE engines are basically the same, so would that tri-power setup work on my bored 352? It is complete with the intake manifold, 3 deuces, linkages, and oval air cleaner housing.

I'm not sure I want to change the factory look of my bird, but those 3 carbs are calling to me! Will it even fit under the hood?

Is this even worth looking into (from a technical standpoint) or am I just asking for trouble? I already have the wife's opinionx(

Casey
    '60 TBird
    Casey
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

RE: tri-power setup

Well, the ol saying goes "There's no replacement for displacement. You can put a 390 or a 428 in there, hide a HUGE carb under that big ol air cleaner. It'll look bone stock and you won't have the problems of trying to dial in a 3-2 set up (Had one on a Mopar - Junk Junk Junk) I've had a hi-perf 390 in my 60 Bird for years now. It's worn out now, but in it's day it would run the a** off any 430 (or the previously mentioned 440 Mopar)

Any new ideas on my disc brake problems guys ??
    Ha Ha (Trying a 61-63 style bar now -- may work who knows.
    I'll tell ya what. with those brakes (SBC kit) it REALLY stops.

John Byers

________
    ANIME VIDEO
    Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

It will fit and work on the engine. I cannot guarantee that the hood will close, though the T-bird tri-power setup has a low profile manifold. Those tri-powers are hard to keep in sync. A lot of people disable two of the carburetors and run it the engine just off of one- more show than go.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
        Experienced
        • Dec 4 2002

Casey,

I think that your tri power would look a lot better on my 390. Send her out, heck I'll even pay shipping on it. LOL

Steve
        Cedar Rapids
        1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
        390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

Heck Steve, you are the one who insspired me to even consider this.
          Here you are with all that high-performance stuff blowin' the doors off everyone...I'm just trying to keep up man!

Casey
          Casey

Comment

• 1960Bird
            Experienced
            • Dec 4 2002

Well, I'll tell you, my next modification is to put on the Holley Avenger 670 CFM I have had sitting in the garage for the past year. As far as the tri power, I wouldn't put it on, too much trouble for a street car, although they do look nice. Heck, I have enough trouble keeping mine running as it is. Just found out the other day that my distributor is one gear/tooth off, Ever since the rebuild I have been having trouble getting it timed right. I finally got mad and advanced the timing so far that the car wouldn't start. I backed the timing off a bit until it would start OK and now it runs better then ever. Although the vacuum advance now points to about seven O'Clock rather then six. All I know is that it runs good and it is not heating up...there is where it will stay. As for the tri power. If it is in good shape I would think about putting it on E-pay, you might find a live one.

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
            390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎