No announcement yet.

restoration

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

restoration

I just purchased a 60 bird convertible with most all the power features including air. I would like to convert the vacuum wipers to the after market electric system. I intend to drive this auto for fun and am not so concerned about it being purely factory. Is the electric system worth the effortof coverting it? I've run across a person who has a 60 bird that he is selling for parts. It offers the 430, with ac and power windows. My car has the 352. I haven't seen it, but he doesn't make it sound very great. How is the market for resale of the 430 as I don't have use of this. Thanks neponset
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: restoration

There are kits to convert the vacuum wipers to electric, but you will lose the park feature of the wipers. The cost of the kits are about $180. You will also need to modify the wiper switch. Kits are available at http://www.motorheadtrader.com/board...erbird%20Parts .

The vacuum wipers are easily rebuilt. The cost is $65 to $75 at http://www.wiperman.com/ . I just rebuilt mine on my 1960, and it works great. I will post pictures of the installation procedure soon.

The 430 engine adds up to 30% to the value of a 1959 to 1960 Thunderbird. It was an uncommon option.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

thanks for the reply alexander. The previous owner had a rebuilt motor installed about a month ago. I'm sure the problem is the vacuum is not from the proper source. My book shows it from the fuel pump, and he has only manifold vacuum. I just wasn't sure it was worth all the trouble figuring it out. You can hear a hissing when in use, and they have a rough time making it to the top of the windshield. Glad to hear the system can be made to work sufficiently. thanks again neponset

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The motor should run fine with just manifold vacuum. The fuel pump is just a vacuum booster for when the trottle is pressed down and the manifold vacuum drops.

Only one of the ports on the wiper motor is connected to the vacuum line. Two others should be capped and one is left open, attached to nothing.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
          Experienced
          • Oct 31 2002

RE ELECTRIC WIPERS

Hi There,
          If you are going to fit the electric wipers in kit form,i purchased my kit from www.concoursparts.com and found it fairly easy to fit.
          The switch is all there for you to fit into your dash,you just reuse the original white dash knob.This switch is also all wired up, you just need to wire it in to your ignition. These kits do keep there self parking feature as the original,as mine park fine. However you need to design your own windscreen washer system ,i used a flick switch and mounted where the original is on the dog leg. And hid the washer motor under the brake master in the engine bay. If you are thinking of using a 430 cuin motor ,think of its engine mounts but also you need to fit the heavy duty front coil springs to take the extra weight.
          Kev 60 Sunroof
          Thunderbirds of England

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎