No announcement yet.

The wife smells gasoline

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife smells gasoline

I have been driving my 1960 Thunderbird a bit the last few weeks. My sweetheart commented the other day that there was a strong gasoline smell in the garage after I parked the car. The smell would go away after a bit. I have not driven the car in a week and there has been no gas smell. I am guessing I have a carburetor problem. I am thinking the float is out of adjustment.
    Has anybody experienced this problem? Can anybody give me some guidance on where to look, and a possible solution to the problem?

Hey Larry,
    It maybe your fill cap on the gas tank. They are vented and sometimes you get a gas smell.
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• KULTULZ

Fumes are a funny thing. I can sit in traffic and smell a carbureted car, especially older models with no emissions controls.

Comment

• JohnG
        John
        • Jul 28 2003

If, with identical circumstances, she can smell it now but could not smell it, say, a few weeks ago, then something has changed and needs attention.

First thing might be to narrow it down - front or rear? I would put some dark paper under the front of the car and see if anything drips.

The newer gasolines (ethanol added) can attack hoses up front. Or it could be as simple as a hose clamp or fitting that has loosened up.

In case the fuel pump has problems, check your oil and see if there is any smell or increase in level. A bad diaphram can allow gas into the motor, most undesireable.

The seal around the sending unit in the trunk may be ancient and leaky.

One thing for certain: if you have a leak it will not get better without your help.
        1958 Hardtop
        #8452 TBird Registry
        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
        history:
        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• del
          Retired Expert Enthusiast
          • May 11 2010

hmmm... me too

Originally posted by lnoska
          I have been driving my 1960 Thunderbird a bit the last few weeks. My sweetheart commented the other day that there was a strong gasoline smell in the garage after I parked the car. The smell would go away after a bit. I have not driven the car in a week and there has been no gas smell. I am guessing I have a carburetor problem. I am thinking the float is out of adjustment.
          Has anybody experienced this problem? Can anybody give me some guidance on where to look, and a possible solution to the problem?
          Larry I have been experiencing similar of late with my '60. Have not had an opportunity yet to find the source, and I'm hoping that its not the fuel pump thing.
          Regards,
          Don Vincent
          Amherst NY
          1960 HT 352
          TBird Registry 34042

Comment

WHAT EVER THE PROBLEM, YOU NEED TO FIND IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Remember gas itself will not burn, its the vapors that burn and are highly explosive.
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

Carb bowls "boiling" out from the engine heat?

Ethanol gas I think is more susceptible to this.

The next time you park it, pop the hood and remove the air cleaner. Look down into the carb.
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• KULTULZ

I think there was one member here that posted his fuel tank had rusted through on the top of the tank.

As suggested, I would start with the carb after shutdown.

Remove the air cleaner and watch for puddling in the intake manifold plenum and/or leakage at the throttle shafts onto the intake manifold. Then fuel pump, all lines (especially rubber) and finally the tank.

When replacing flexible fuel line(s), make sure you use fuel injected rated hose as it is impervious to the new fuel(s).

Comment

• Astrowing
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 22 2009

A gas cap that doesn't vent properly can pressurize the system also. Above 8 psi, the float can not contain the pressure. Had this problem with my 61 F100 flooding carb into crankcase. Finally drilled a hole in the back of the gas cap and don't fill it very full. Everyone should not only check oil level every time, but also for smell of gas in the oil. We've gotten accustomed to not doing this with fuel injected modern engines
                  sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Astrowing

Everyone should not only check oil level every time, but also for smell of gas in the oil. We've gotten accustomed to not doing this with fuel injected modern engines
                    Hmm...

Very good and forgotten point...

Comment

• del
                      • May 11 2010

Originally posted by lnoska
                      I finally had a few spare hours today to take a look at this. Checked the fuel line all the back and didn't see/feel/smell anything. Drained the oil... I could not tell for sure if I smelled gas in the oil or not. For you experts out there ~ Is there any way to test other than by smell? I assume the gas and oil would mix and be tough to tell visually.

When I removed the fuel pump, the rubber fuel supply line kind of crumbled at the fitting. I suppose this could have been slowly seeping? Now that the fuel pump is out, is there a way to tell if the diaphragm had been leaking internally?

Thanks to All !
                      Regards,
                      Don Vincent
                      Amherst NY
                      1960 HT 352
                      TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• JohnG
                        John
                        • Jul 28 2003

If you have a fuel leak that close to the engine, the fuel gets vaporized by the warmth so you have no evidence like with an oil leak. Also, this might account for the smell your wife mentioned. Sounds like some modern fuel line is in order in any event!
                        1958 Hardtop
                        #8452 TBird Registry
                        http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                        history:
                        http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Astrowing
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 22 2009

if you have a diaphragm with a pin hole, you can have fuel flowing into the crankcase with the engine off. This is especially true if the gas tank is pressurizing when it gets warmer when parked. You probably can not detect a pin hole, so if the pump is old, Id replace it.

as far as gas in the oil, if you have drained it, pour it into a container where you can see the bottom and the gas will separate and rise to the top after several hours of sitting. in the engine, the dipstick will also show the separation if it is significant enough and it sits for several hours, also the level will rise rather than fall with gas going into the crank.
                          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• del
                            • May 11 2010

still smelly

After replacing the fuel pump and the rubber bits in and out last season, I thought I had this problem licked, but no dice. The Mrs now insists that the TBird be parked in the driveway, not the garage, due to the fumes!

At our previous home, the garage was detached and at the back of the property, so any fumes were 30 yards from the house. Our "new" home is split level with 2 car attached garage, so any lingering gassy smell easily migrates and collects in the living space, especially the lower level where her office is. My carb is a modern Edelbrock and gas tank is new. I've never noticed gas tank pressure being a problem.

So the question -- is the gassy smell a fact of life or will replacing the gas line make it go away? I still see no evidence of any leaks.

Thanks folks!
                            Regards,
                            Don Vincent
                            Amherst NY
                            1960 HT 352
                            TBird Registry 34042

Comment

I had the same problem a while back, and it turned out to be a leaking O-ring seal for the fuel sending unit. I pulled the carpet back, and there was a small pool of fuel just sitting in the top of the tank. I replaced the O-ring and all is well now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎