X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

Power Steering Ram Cylinder Rebuild

While I have the front end all torn out I decided to tackle the PS components since they were completely covered in about 1/4" of crud.

Trying to figure out how to get the bushing and the other seal out of the piston end of the cylinder. The shop manual says to pull the piston rod all the way out, but I can't get it to come all the way out and have only removed the snap ring, scraper and one seal.

Any advice on how to get the rest out?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

Has anyone done this rebuild, or do most just opt for a rebuilt cylinder from a vendor, if needed?
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

I've done several of them. There are two seals that are difficult to remove and the rebuild will leak unless they are replaced. My weapon of choice is a seal pick with an angled tip. This enables you to dig into the seals and pry them up and out, sometimes in pieces.
      Carl

Comment

• SirBB
        Apprentice
        • Jul 7 2016

I Carl, I have my cylinder pulled out and apart and it looks like it only has the rubber wiper in the plastic cup no steel washer and no second seal below it. Are you aware of T-Birds having this execution cylinder. Do you know of a cylinder exploded view somewhere on the web?
        Also I'm concerned about the play in the rod support bushing, do you know what the play spec. should be? can this bushing be replaced?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Here's the exploded view of the cylinder. They all have the same seals, bushing and scraper to my knowledge.

John
          Attached Files
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• toddgilroy
            Experienced
            • Aug 30 2014

I sent my cylinder down to Randy Meyer at Stanger Steering who does a lot of Ford steering work. He had a heckuva time getting the steel bushing out of mine (also a '60) and finally sent it to a place in North Dakota to have it cut open and rebuilt. He said the cylinder from the 60 seemed to be a little different than others from the same era.
            Todd Gilroy
            1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

• SirBB
              Apprentice
              • Jul 7 2016

Thanks John, just what I needed

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰