X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

Take the red/blue wire off the solenoid and put a volt meter on the wire. Turn the key to the start position and see if you get 12 volts. If you do then the problem is most likely the solenoid. If you don't get 12 volts the problem is the neutral switch or ignition switch. It could also be the wire connector on the firewall that you've been having trouble with.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

neutral safety switch

Hello John. My jim osbourne electrical manual indicates that theres a wire that runs from the starter relay to the neutral switch under the sterring column. I must of gingled that plug So I disconnected cleaned the contact of corse with the battery disconnected. Letting everything dry tonight plus sprayed cleaning contact solution in the plugs. I tested the neutral switch earlier with the ignition on and out of the four contacts three had about 12 volts. Is that correct is one a ground contact. Please let me no that. As always thamks. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

The only two wires on the neutral switch you need to start the car are the red/blue wires. You need 12 volts on both of those with the key in the start position and the shift lever in park or neutral.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

12 volts

thankyou John. no more tomorrow

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

car starts

IN my first problem with the lights I must of bumped the second harness and some wires came loose. I got into each contacts and used a small file and then shot some electronic cleaning solution into each one. With my wife holding the plugs firmly in place outside of the engine firewall I plugged them firmly into place. Ford must of used someway to secure this harness Iam not sure if you suggested tie downs or not . Is there a better way to secure both harness. Thank you John. Larry

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Larry, I combined your posts again because you have the exact same problem.

This came from post #2:
              Originally posted by simplyconnected
              ...Replace all wires that are off, make sure your connections are tight and then replace the bad fuses. - Dave
              Now here we are at post #36 and four months later, and you have the same plugs and receptacles falling apart. Why???

Most plugs are hard to separate. How come yours are falling apart? If they are burned from not being seated properly, you can replace the receptacles and plugs with hard wires. Just start cutting and splicing. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎