X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJThunder66
    • Apr 25 2014

'66 needs shorter brake booster, what's compatible

Hey guys/gals,
    I have a '66 Q code and it has the huge midland power brake booster. Nothing wrong with it, but I'm upgrading to a Dual Master Cyclinder ('74 Mustang MC) and even with a notched strut brace, the new dual master is coming too far back and hitting the brace, so I can't bolt the brace back down.

I've looked up some of the smaller (7") brake boosters, but am not sure of what will fit the current bolt patterns in the firewall, etc. Trying not to do any additional modding. Any help would be appreciated, I've been trying to get ahold of Booster Dewey for a week now, phone line is always busy.

Thanks in advance for any links to the part / trusted buyers OR info on makes/models you know work so I can go window shopping!
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

Don't notch the brace, since that is structure. Notch the cover to the MC instead.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yadkin; February 16, 2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• TJThunder66
      • Apr 25 2014

I actually bought a notched brace, is what I meant. I have my original as well. Neither will bolt down because the dual master comes too far back off the stock midland booster. Need a smaller booster....just not sure where to get it or what year I should be looking for that will be a direct fit.

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

I edited my last post with a cropped, lightened picture that I found showing my notched MC cover with the brace out so you can see it.

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've seen some cars that have the brace raised up where it bolts to the shock tower to clear the dual master cylinder. That's an option if you want to make an extension bracket. You need at least an 8" booster to work with disc brakes. I'm not sure that will give you enough clearance either.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

Originally posted by TJThunder66
            I actually bought a notched brace, is what I meant. I have my original as well. Neither will bolt down because the dual master comes too far back off the stock midland booster. Need a smaller booster....just not sure where to get it or what year I should be looking for that will be a direct fit.
            I take it your car is not an AC equipped car? I learned that the AC cars came with a different booster. I didn't have fitment problems with our Flairbirds, but they were all AC cars...

Anyway, I think the Bendix is smaller than the Midland but you should double check that. Says the Bendix is 6.5" thick. Look at rockauto at part number 16080055, I think that is the one I have.

Comment

• TJThunder66
              • Apr 25 2014

Appreciate that, I will take a look at that part as well. Going to take a look to see if it's possible to notch the MC cover as well.

My car DOES have AC btw...

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Originally posted by TJThunder66
                Appreciate that, I will take a look at that part as well. Going to take a look to see if it's possible to notch the MC cover as well.

My car DOES have AC btw...
                Maybe 66 was a different booster then? Or the master you used is larger than what I ran? Here are photos of the swap I took photos of.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You definitely have a Bendix booster. I have a Midland booster in my '66 and it looks much larger.

John
                  John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                  jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• TJThunder66
                    • Apr 25 2014

Thanks for the pics Rusty. Yeah I think you have a Bendix. I was about to ask if maybe the 74 Mustang MC I bought was the culprit here, but I think it's because the Midland is a few inches bigger..... My strut bar literally comes down on top of the MC because the booster stick out so far.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎