X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

Engine Date Code Identification 1960 430

See attached Lincoln Service Bulletin 1960 Eng-Fuel System Number 1, instructions on decoding the stamped assembly code found on the left front cylinder bank. "These codes are new for 1960 and are not the same as previously used" as stated on the Bulletin.

Ford issued a Management Service Letter M-204, Subject: 1960 Parts Identification - Thunderbird, however in Section 8 titled Complete Engine Assembly Date Code, the info appears to cover identification for the 352 as the Lima Plant was excluded. Lima is where the 430's were being assembled according to the code. The Lincoln Bulletin is appropriate for our Thunderbirds with the 430.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GTE427; July 29, 2010, 08:03 AM.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop
  • TR4V8
    • Aug 27 2010

Carburetors for 430 Engine

Ken -- Thanks for posting the engine date decode sheet for the 430 engine. I'm trying to document the date code & part numbers for a Holley that The Old Cars Manual Project lists as being original for the 430 engine. Numbers stamped into the choke horn as follows:
    List 1850

I have been told that this can't be a 1960 carb because the date code is on the driver side with the other numbers. I don't know of any other resource that documents this carburetor. Can you help? -- Thanks, Steve

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

Your Holley R-1850-A is a model 4160 C unit that carries a Ford/Lincoln Part # 5752426 and was for the 58-59 Lincoln 430, and the 59-60 430 Thunderbird (From Holley Literature) In 1958 it had Lincoln part # PB9M-9510-E (From Lincoln Parts Man) Since I can find no later Ford Part # associated with this ID (OSI & Engr # ref), could it have been a Holley Service replacement for the Thunderbird?
      I have no information on Holley Date Codes.
      Carl

Comment

• vernz
        Experienced
        • Jul 12 2008

I thought the Thunderbird 430's came with Carter carburetors. That is what is on both my 59 and 60 430's.

Vern

Comment

• partsetal
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 4 2005

Vern,
          You are correct according to all reference material and observations to date, The 59 & 60's were produced with the Carter Carb. I offered what info I had for TR4V8 who may be trying to document something for a Thunderbird, Lincoln or Mercury. He was not specific about his reasons.
          Carl

Comment

• TR4V8
            • Aug 27 2010

Holley Carb

Thanks Carl and Vern - interesting info -I really appreciate your expertise - I didn't know that the 430s in 58-60 Thunderbirds came with the Carter (AFB?)

So this remains a mystery. The Holley application list on The Old Car Manual Project website list indicates this carb was OE for the Lincoln 430 in Lincolns/Mercurys/Thunderbirds (List R-1859-AAS with part# 5752624). I have two of these Holleys, one with the 062 date the other with a 262. Someone told me that Holley date codes before 1964 were on the passenger side (news to me) - I don't believe that these were aftermarket because they have the Ford part number and while it is possible that Holley would be producing new replacement parts in 1970/72 for an engine that ceased production in 1965, the List 1850-X aftermarket carburetors were available at that time.

I have had no success finding documentation in any detail on Lincoln or Mercury with the 430 engine. Where can I find documentation on the Ford part number 5752624 ?? I thought that beginning in the mid-60s Ford part numbers used alpha-numeric numbers that could be decoded to the application.

Thanks again for your help -- Steve

Comment

• TR4V8
              • Aug 27 2010

Holley Carb

CORRECTION:

Sorry - that was Holley part number R-1850-AAS on the TOCMP.com list - not 1859 - darned typos - my fingers usually work better . . .

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎