No announcement yet.

Fluid level check

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid level check

Transmission fluid level check (after fluid change. The shop manual says, run the engine until it reaches its normal operation temperature (the engine reaches the operation temperature pretty fast). Then add fluid to the full mark. I have done that and have noticed, after a longer trip (100 miles or so) when the transmission also has reached its operation temperature, the fluid level is a bit over the F mark. Is it when the transmission has reached its operation temperature I should read the dipstick?

Any ideas?
    Thanks

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Fluid level check

What you are doing is fine. I do the same as you do. I do notice that the fluid on the dipstick can get well over the full mark when very hot, but I have not have had a transmission problem in over twenty years driving my 1959 Thunderbird.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Alex, but is it appropriate to adjust the level to the F mark when the transmission is warm/hot?

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

I would not adjust the fluid level lower when the engine is very hot. I would say that normal operating temperature is what the temperature of the engine is after driving 12 miles on a 70-80 degree day. You should adjust the fluid at the normal operating temperature.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

OK, thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...