No announcement yet.

trunk lock ornament

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

trunk lock ornament

you guys are so smart in here that i need to ask a question....this summer my husband and i bought a '60....so far we love it and are trying to do some restoration on it.....it has the trunk lock ornament missing and i have found one but was wondering is there anything special to replacing it....i guess i am asking if anyone has done this and is it hard to do (have not ordered the new one yet) thanks for all info....
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

Welcome to the board.

If you are referring to the spring-loaded Thunderbird "head" piece, the part that slides down to reveal the keyhole, it is sorta tricky.
    There are some very small springs that reside in the grooves on the back of the ornament. The trick is to secure the ornament to the base while holding those springs in place. It took me a few times to get it right. Most of my time was spent looking for whichever spring shot out of the assembly as I was putting it together.

this is best done with the entire cylinder housing/ornament base piece removed from the car.
    Casey

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

Haven't replaced one, sounds like you have some good advice already.

Wanted to mention that the 58/59 ornaments are the same, the 60 is unique to itself. Slight chance that trunk lids get changed, you may what to look at the drillings of your decklid to see which one it is, 58/59 or the 60. If it's the 58/59 lid, it could be drilled for the 60 as the 60 is larger, or if you'd rather not drill, order the 58/59 if that's correct for the trunk you have. Can someone confirm the 60 will cover 58/59 holes as I haven't compared the two, only writing from visual memory.
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Are the holes still in the trunk lid for the emblem?

Comment

ok....just like i expected...you guys are smart....yes casey i was talking about the springs and t-bird cover....i sure hope the lock hasn't been changed cause i was going to order the 60 cover....i really don't think it has cause most of this car has been original at least for parts....thanks again guys i knew you would come through for me......

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

Approx 4 years ago I bought the a spring kit for my 1960 cover. Back then u had to drill, tap, and modify a new screw to go into ur original cover. I think there is a new kit NOW that sells the 2 springs, a new cover, and the needed screw to "hold" it all back together. In short, I would call and talk to whichever T-Bird supplier u buy either kit from...
            sigpic
            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

I would tend to agree with Jon that you talk to your parts supplier about what exactly, you are buying. Some don't let you know that additional springs, screws etc are required to complete the install. If you are going to replace yours with a complete new one, then you keep some of the old parts as spares down the road.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• drclarkra
                Apprentice
                • Aug 4 2006

No, the holes for the 58,59 will not be covered by the 60 unit.
                Birdman

Comment

thanks guys

thanks for all your help...we ordered the '60 cover and we had to drill a hole in the trunk to access the screw to tighten it but we got it on and it looks so much better...now waiting on the gunshots to be rechromed....i just finished a new uphostery job, quite a chore but well worth all the effort.....my '60 is rockin!!!!!!

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Glad we could help a fellow Birder! Now u need to post some pics of that car on here 4 us... LOL!!!
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Vette-granny I like it, when one of our members say things like my 60 is " rockin" as it shows your passion. I agree, let's see some pictures of your 60 and don't worry about what stage it is in. We have all at one point brought these beauties back to their original state.

Thunderbird Registry
                      58HT #33317
                      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡