Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kincaid
    • Aug 12 2011

1964 Thunderbird shift question

Thanks in advance for answering my questions as so far it has been a tremendous help.

question 1: I installed the new detent kit with included a new shift lever. All works well with the exception that when putting in reverse I have to go higher in reverse slot --middle of park and reverse --- to engage. I have looked but I do not see any linkage adjust to correct this. Is there a way to adjust?

question 2: When I put the car in gear when car is cold the transmission engages quickly. If I drive the car for a period of time and have to go into gear after stopping there is several second pause before the transmission engages. Should I be worried? What is the fix for this?

Russ L
  • redstangbob
    Experienced
    • Feb 18 2011

There are 2 basic adjustments for the shifter, one is made at the slotted rod that's part of the linkage bolted just behind the steering box. These can be seized and rusted, I've had to use an acetylene torch to loosen the nut so be careful not to twist it off. The shop manual (I'm sure you have one) says to make the adjustment in D1. I like setting it up in neutral. The second adjustment is the neutral safety switch. It has a place to pin the switch, I use a paper clip in that hole. With the selector in neutral and the 2 switch retaining screws loosened, set the switch so it is pinned and the lever is in the neutral position, then tighten the screws. If the lower shift tube bushing is gone, which is a common problem, you are wasting your time. The swing-away column and shifter work just fine only if all the parts are in good condition. Trying to 'adjust' the play out will just give you a headache. Good luck, Bob C

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎