This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road
Default Are there any purists @ squarebirds anymore?

Just curious.... I am of the same belief as most members, "it's your car do as you wish" but I have noticed over the years that this has become much more of a "modders" site than it used to be. I would just like to know if I am the only purist here anymore. I love my '58 and most vintage cars and I love the "vintage" technologies that make them what they are. Lets face it after 50 + years of course there is better technoloy...but then are they really classics anymore? i dunno....... I would like to know if anyone is still interested in true restorations. satisfy an old mans curiosity
Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
I bought my '60 Bird off the original owner's family.

She still sports vacuum wipers, a generator, and drum brakes at all 4 corners. I did add radial white wall tires though...

I think that says enough for me.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

My Dad and Mom bought my car new. I love driving it but wanted to drive it more often without so much worry so that is one of the main reasons I did some mods.

Added disc brakes to pull a wheelchair trailer for my son but all the mods I did could be reversed if I wanted to go back original. Went to the trouble to find 14 inch wheels to fit my disc conversion so that I could run the original hub caps.

I wanted A/C so I've tried to re-create it as it would have been added at the dealer (even kept the metal I cut from the firewall so it could be put back if I wanted - ha ha ha).

I have radial tires which - to me - made it more enjoyable to drive.

I think it's great to have folks that keep them totally stock just so we can always see what they were like originally but understand the modifications made for safety and enjoyment.

JMHO......great idea for a post. Looking forward to the replies.
Eric
registry 5347
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347
Old 02-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank58 View Post
Just curious.... I am of the same belief as most members, "it's your car do as you wish" but I have noticed over the years that this has become much more of a "modders" site than it used to be. I would just like to know if I am the only purist here anymore. I love my '58 and most vintage cars and I love the "vintage" technologies that make them what they are. Lets face it after 50 + years of course there is better technoloy...but then are they really classics anymore? i dunno....... I would like to know if anyone is still interested in true restorations. satisfy an old mans curiosity
I would without doubt kept my bird 100% original, if it have matching numbers. But to my supprice when I got it home from Texas, someone have already changed the engine and tranny to a 390 ī64. Not to mension itīs very hard to get the ī58 hubcaps..... So I kind of decided to let it be a "mild custom" so it is possible to bring it back to original with ease if I want in the future. I will keep all parts I change, so it can go back with the right parts kind of... By some reason, Iīm a bit confused about new made parts as well. One side of me like the possibility to put the car back as it should look, with parts from all the vendors, but another part of me want to restore as much of the original parts as possible, as the new parts have very little to do with 1958, made in China or something like that.
So if I got hold of a compleate car in good shape with matching numbers, I would think a few times before I touched it.
At the moment, I am trying to get my old AC works, as I donīt want to buy a modern one.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 02-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I think this question can only be answered by those extravagant enough to keep their classic cars in a garage because 1958 cars weren't built to drive among 2012 traffic.

Let's face it, where can you find oil or gas that meets 1950 SAE standards? And how can you ask your family to climb aboard and take them out on today's highways with marginal shoe brakes or without seatbelts, radial tires, disk brakes, etc? Certainly, other cars on those same roads have all the modern equipment, plus air bags.

If you want bone stock, you need to enjoy how your classic looks at home, or trailer it to shows. If you want to enjoy your classic at local cruises and club meetings, consider an upgrade to today's standards. JMHO. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

On Squarebirds that I've restored and am restoring, I get my guidance from the data plate on the door and from the VTCI Standards. Strictly an "Original" guy.
Carl
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I'm a purist except when it comes to safety. The brakes and windshield wipers are not only inadequate but downright dangerous. Those are the two things I will upgrade on my '59. That and I'll add seat belts and probably upgrade to an alternator.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

"Full restoration" or "custom" jobs, everyone on this site is saving an old car from the crusher.

I FULLY appreciate original cars, but jeez.... the full restorations seem to only be seen on Barrett-Jackson, and are being purchased by multi-millionaires.

I know a guy here in Wisconsin with an untouched '58 in PRISTINE condition. It is absolutely amazing to see in person. Even the original dashpad is in good shape.

Last edited by Dakota Boy : 02-09-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Still original here, except added seat belts and pertronix. Doesn't see much highway use, but Never Trailered.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Last edited by fomoco59 : 02-10-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

My '60 is pretty close to stock, with the following exceptions: seat belts, electric wipers, 6 blade fan, fan shroud. Edelbrock 4bbl and new dash pad were done by previous owner. Still has orig leather interior, carpets and headliner. Will probably go with radials when the current bias plys wear out. Driven less than 2,000 each of the last 2 seasons.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042