Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rpmz
    • Apr 24 2011

Okay 1962

First question out of the box... where in the world do I find all my interior parts? I've run searches and come up with nothing except 80's and newer.

help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Dana,
    There are several old Thunderbird suppliers out there. Look down at the vendor specials on main page (close to the bottom of the page) or do a google search online.
    Allot of these vendors will send you their books for free and of course some charge a small fee! These books contain a worlds of knowledge and information about interiors, exteriors, mechanical and etc... If you get several of these books you also have a price selection to chose from. Ebay can also be very helpful! I have made some awesome purchases on Ebay! Also if you get her I would suggest you get a shop manual that corresponds with the year you purchase! And if all else fails, that's when you let us know, we will be more than glad to help!
    Keep us posted!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Rpmz
      • Apr 24 2011

Hi Richard
      I've done the google searches and even tried NPD and a few others. I know parts are out there but I haven't found them. as far as techy things I will get the year appropriate manuals and I appreciate that info, however I'm not a professional yet not a novice restore guy so my concern is access to parts. The items I listed are the interior concerns on this car due to age. We know this car has been sitting 20 years and apparently even more.

One thing caught my attention this car has teal color interior with a full compliment of dash chrome that wraps around the whole dash and doors??? It looks custom to the year model? Anything special about that or is that standard????

Comment

Originally posted by Rpmz
        Hi Richard
        I've done the google searches and even tried NPD and a few others. I know parts are out there but I haven't found them. as far as techy things I will get the year appropriate manuals and I appreciate that info, however I'm not a professional yet not a novice restore guy so my concern is access to parts. The items I listed are the interior concerns on this car due to age. We know this car has been sitting 20 years and apparently even more.

One thing caught my attention this car has teal color interior with a full compliment of dash chrome that wraps around the whole dash and doors??? It looks custom to the year model? Anything special about that or is that standard????
        Hey Dana,
        Did you look at any of the suppliers in the Vendor section below? A few I have that offers free catalogs; Pat Wilson's Thunderbird, The T-bird Sanctuary, Concours Parts & Accessories, Thunderbird Headquarter, Larry's Thunderbird & Mustang Parts and I'm sure there are others! These listed above are just the ones that I have catalogs from and they were free. As far a being a professional, I was not nor am I now! These gals and guys on here have taught me a whole lot and allot of things I have found out by myself. Remember, if you love old cars and are not afraid of getting your hands dirty (oily) then you are a candidate for restoring a old car! You have got to look at the big picture, the finished product!
        As far as the interior, there are several suppliers that have the replacement "teal" interior. Also if some of your interior is in good shape, it may just need to be cleaned up or stripped and re-dyed!
        The interior trim should be the close to same for the '61-'63, I would have to do some digging to find out for sure. Now I know on the '58-'60 Thunderbirds, Ford made some minor changes in the interior but allot of the trim stayed close to the same. The biggest changes were the door panels and door trim! Allot of the pieces of chrome, stainless and aluminum pieces can be refinished! Some of them you can do yourself!
        Keep us posted!
        Richard D. Hord
        Last edited by Guest; April 24, 2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Rpmz
          • Apr 24 2011

Hey Richard,
          I feel really comfortable with the hardware in the car can clean up nicely. The sites seem to "miss' the 61-63 I'll try the ones you just mentioned next. But so far as an example Classic goes to 60 then picks back up at 64 leaving the 61-3 out. I've restored several cars and my first concern is availabilityof parts. This 'can be" a nice find but I've got my alert up to red at this point. I don't have the time or interest in custom prices to redo the interior so thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll try those folks out this evening and see if they carry 61-3. I'd love to have this car it hasnt seen daylight for 20 years that we know of.... not a barn find but a storage find. With the upholstery this can be a REALLY nice car.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
            Experienced
            • Jan 5 2008

Hey Richard,
            I feel really comfortable with the hardware in the car can clean up nicely. The sites seem to "miss' the 61-63 I'll try the ones you just mentioned next. But so far as an example Classic goes to 60 then picks back up at 64 leaving the 61-3 out. I've restored several cars and my first concern is availabilityof parts. This 'can be" a nice find but I've got my alert up to red at this point. I don't have the time or interest in custom prices to redo the interior so thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll try those folks out this evening and see if they carry 61-3. I'd love to have this car it hasnt seen daylight for 20 years that we know of.... not a barn find but a storage find. With the upholstery this can be a REALLY nice car.
            You're not looking in the right places. There are three basic types of T-bird vendors - those that specialize only in '55-'57 (NPD is one of these), those that cater to '58-'66, and those that specialize in other years. It would do you well to obtain parts catalogs from the major '58-'66 T-bird vendors.

There are many small differences between '61, '62 and '63 that those not familiar with this generation will miss. A very good source that details differences between the years is the Vintage Thunderbird Club International's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications manual, which is available to members of VTCI - see www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org for more info.

You can get presewn seat covers made out of original-quality materials from Original Auto Interiors - these are more expensive but are hands-down MUCH BETTER than reproduction covers because they are of the correct weight/thickness (repops are often thinner, meaning they're not as durable, can rip/tear easier and may have an incorrect face grain pattern).
            Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
            Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
            Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• Rpmz
              • Apr 24 2011

Hey Alan
              thank you. I need all the info I can get. I thought I was pretty savvy on research and came up with nothing. I'll check out all the sites you guys mentioned.
              d

Originally posted by Alan H. Tast, AIA
              You're not looking in the right places. There are three basic types of T-bird vendors - those that specialize only in '55-'57 (NPD is one of these), those that cater to '58-'66, and those that specialize in other years. It would do you well to obtain parts catalogs from the major '58-'66 T-bird vendors.

There are many small differences between '61, '62 and '63 that those not familiar with this generation will miss. A very good source that details differences between the years is the Vintage Thunderbird Club International's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications manual, which is available to members of VTCI - see www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org for more info.

You can get presewn seat covers made out of original-quality materials from Original Auto Interiors - these are more expensive but are hands-down MUCH BETTER than reproduction covers because they are of the correct weight/thickness (repops are often thinner, meaning they're not as durable, can rip/tear easier and may have an incorrect face grain pattern).

Comment

• Rpmz
                • Apr 24 2011

Thank you guys !! 3rd time was charm!!! Fine fellow with Thunderbird headquarters has my teal metallic seats dash pad....etc. Looks like we may be a go on this car.

Comment

Hey Dana,
                  See a little perseverance goes a long way! Congratulations!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Rpmz
                    • Apr 24 2011

Hey guys looks like we are closer! Sold a project car made some profit and going after the bird tomorrow hopefully

the interior is in terrible shape but all the hardware is there. Wifey is very excited she loves the big ole boats. Oh and I guess I'm learning some new lingo.... "bulletbird"???

Comment

• Rpmz
                      • Apr 24 2011

Well unless I find another one........

Seems Mr. Cool wanted to play games on the sale of the car. so I stopped wasting my time on him. Oh well. Thanks for all your support while I investigated the car.

Comment

• scumdog
                        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Well unless I find another one........

Seems Mr. Cool wanted to play games on the sale of the car. so I stopped wasting my time on him. Oh well. Thanks for all your support while I investigated the car.
                        I see the 'winning bid' was $2,500 - I wonder how 'firm' he is on his $3,500 he wants for it?

All I can say is that 5 years ago I turned down a sound driver on Cragars for $4,500 so $3,500 for his 'dunger' is a bit optomistic.
                        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎