This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

I am a purist but those windows really improve the look of what I consider oversized sail panels.

NICE CAR!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Jed, nautical is the exact word. Most people overhere I speak at meetings (and don't know anything about the original look of a Squarebird) say the same and think in that direction.
Every single one of them also think it's original factory standard and is surprised when I tell the truth!

Kultulz, I want to keep it as original as it should be, when replacing things on the car. Found and installed the right hubcaps/wheelcovers lately, still need some other parts on my list. But the portholes were in it already when I bought the car and they stay in it, that's for certain!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 AM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post

But the portholes were in it already when I bought the car and they stay in it, that's for certain!
I AGREE!

They do make a difference! It changes completely the look of the car...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbird View Post
Jed, nautical is the exact word. Most people overhere I speak at meetings (and don't know anything about the original look of a Squarebird) say the same and think in that direction.
Every single one of them also think it's original factory standard and is surprised when I tell the truth!

Kultulz, I want to keep it as original as it should be, when replacing things on the car. Found and installed the right hubcaps/wheelcovers lately, still need some other parts on my list. But the portholes were in it already when I bought the car and they stay in it, that's for certain!
After have melted the impression for some days, I have to say they look cool, and even if I donīt plan to put similar into my car, I would kept them if the car arrived with them for sure. They kind of fit quite nice actually.
Mine came with ī63 wheel De luxe wheel covers, and I will keep them as she came like that.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Marco the pixs that were posted certainly enhance the look of the opera portholes. It certainly lends the thought that perhaps someone dropped the ball, in the designing department at Ford when they revamped the baby bird. I agree that it certainly tones down, the large side sails on the sides, as well as bring up some chrome to the roofline.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default '58 Tbird W/Opera Windows!

I also like the looks of the Opera Windows on your Squarebird and wish mine had them also. It certainly does improve the look of the C pillar, I think. It is interesting that Ford was considering keeping the Opera Window in effect on the Squarebirds, as evidenced by the three picture mock ups I posted showing one of the models with the windows in place.

I suspect that someone in marketing said no, we want to make the Squarebirds look entirely different. So they decided not to use them. It is to bad they didn't. I like them..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Maybe it was a "cost cutting measure"- kind of like reusing the same '57 little bird drum brakes on our bigger, heavier Square Birds.....

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default '58 Tbird W/Opera Windows!

Shortly after Marco joined us, I started talking with the second owner of his Tbird. Unfortunately, the first and third owners have both since passed away. However, the second owner was able to give me a lot of information about it. Including the fact that he had it re-painted it's present color. Then he said he found some pictures of what it looked like when he first bought it. He send me several 35mm film strips. Finding someone who could still process 1970's-1980's 35mm film strips was interesting, since those do not have the sprocket holes on the sides. After making several stops at photo processing places, no one could do these anymore. It turns out that Walgreen was able to do it manually. So they put the pix on a CD for me and I took them off, downsized them, and sent them to the previous owner and Marco. Marco was very happy to get them. Now he knows what his Tbird used to look like before he bought her. And now you will also... Here are several shots taken about 1984. This is old film, so a lot of the color has been lost from the background. Notice that in these shots the car still had its side and front Tbird emblems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marcos58OriginalColor~2sm.jpg (50.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Marcos58OriginalColor~3sm.jpg (49.6 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Marcos58OriginalColor~5sm.jpg (47.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Marcos58OriginalColor~8sm.jpg (39.9 KB, 109 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 02-12-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Corrected comments
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

Great work as usual Ray, you always go that extra mile! I think it looks fabulous with the opera windows and I would ahve to say that it looks better red than the original color, there is more of a contrast with the roof. Great car!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ray great work on getting the original pixs of Marco's Tbird and the fact that these are original pixs taken. I am sure Marco appreciates the " extra bonus " that one of the owners was down your way and you went to see him. This is another testament of just how good this site is and it's members comittments.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada