This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I would like to think you want a F-150 because it's the best truck out there. You can't go wrong w/an F-150/250/250SD/300 pickup truck. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Great looking little car. I'm partial to little cars for daily duties and hatchbacks. My daily driver is a 2005 Mazda3 and I love it.

I'm particularly fond of the new Fiesta ST which looks like a riot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian M Greer View Post
... As for a Hybrid , I've learned this working part time at a Ford dealership up here as a shuttle driver , where at times I drive vehicles to the body shop or to new car sales . They give the battery packs an average life span of 5 years to replace them your looking in the range of $ 10,000 dollars . What I was told is on a trade in dealers will give you pennies to the dollar if it's 4 years or so because they know it could need battery replacement at or before 5 years and at that time it's worth nothing but scrap . How about that for food for thought ?? ...
If that's the case with Ford hybrids, they are woefully poorly engineered. I suspect that's one man's opinion or a gross exaggeration of fact.

I just bought my wife a used 2007 Prius. I did a lot of research because I was concerned with the battery life and replacement costs. What I learned was the Prius is one of the most reliable vehicles made according to Consumer Reports & the reliability site True Delta. The big traction battery rarely fails, in fact many owners have gone 200K-300K miles on the original battery. There are many reliably serving in taxi service.

Battery replacements are fairly rare and if needed a new OEM battery from Toyota is under $5K. There are aftermarket batteries for less, but because they are so durable getting a used one from a wreck is a great option at under $1,000.

Perhaps the Ford batteries are less reliable than the Toyota, but I seriously doubt they are toast after only 5 years and cost $10K to replace.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Introducing "Blue Rose"!

Thanks for all the comments about my new ride! Shortly after I bought her, I found a set of seat covers and a good set of front and back rubber black floor mats at one of the local auto parts stores. I like the seat covers because they have blue in them that is pretty close to a match to the car color. The rubber floor mats are easy to pull out and wash off. They will go a long way in protecting my carpeting. My Dodge had a complete set of plastic floor mats made to match the interior of the van. The carpeting, and the van, except for the drivers seat (I never put a seat cover on it and should have ) for that matter, looked like it was still brand new when I traded it off.

I see that Doug and I were posting at the same time. Doug, for the sake of the Ford Hybrid owners, I hope that information regarding Ford battery life and replacement cost is not accurate. That, the additional cost of the Hybrid, and the lack of the color I wanted, was the reason why I did not buy one. The salesman told me they did not come in Blue Candy. I found out, after the fact, that he was not correct. In my research, I forgot to check on the color availability of the Hybrid because I was not seriously considering it because of the additional cost of the vehicle. As it turned out, they did have one available in that color, but he did not know that. It was fun to drive though, and strange not to hear any engine noise!

Here are some pix of my seat covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyNewSeatCovers1.jpg (65.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg MyNewSeatCovers2.jpg (62.6 KB, 44 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 01-01-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 01-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Congrats Ray! I guess itīs the 2:nd best choose as they donīt sell the Volvo V40 in the USA yet
One funny thing I see and reminds me of the years with Ford is the blue water cap in the engine bay. When "the yanks took us over" they started to change a lot of things including the colors on all liquid containers. At Volvo, we have one color per function, but Ford only have Black with Yellow text or Yellow with Black text. As Iīm responsible for the engine bay ( upon other areas ) here I have these endless discussions with them regarding this. In the end, I totally refused to give up on our blue caps for water, and it vent all the way up to the top suits in Dearborn before it was decided that we have to change all caps except for the water, and that Ford would follow that. Donīt know how often you guys fill that one but here, itīs on a weekly basis during winter time. Another funny thing was a symbol for the fuse box. They insisted to keep using the one they had, inkl. Mazda for years, but as it look more like an electric chair ( a seat with a flash ) I won that one too and since, we have one that actually looks like a fuse, + a symbol of the instruction manual… I see that you have that box Funny memories
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 01-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the insight, Anders! Yup, I have a blue cap on my water bottle. As for filling it up, that depends on how much we have to use it. It is one of the things they are supposed to do when you go in for service, or that I will check from time to time. Yup, I see the black with yellow caps on the rest of the stuff. Your comments are interesting to me! Thanks for sharing them! I am a bit surprised that they allowed the blue cap to remain. You must have some clout!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty confident that info is incorrect. I know that some states (CARB statess) require long battery warranties, 10 years 150k on the Prius. I assume that others would be similar and in fact that's exactly what Ford's hybrid warranty is, 8yr/100K in most states, 10/150K in CARB states. So clearly they last longer than 4-5 years or Ford would be paying for a lot of batteries!

I'm not a fan of the seat covers, but it's not my car. Modern leathers seats are quite durable and very attractive, I'd just leave 'em alone if it were me.

They are neat cars, a coworker has a Focus ST which he loves. Drives a fair bit different than the T'bird, a different kind of fun. Will likely run circles around it too, I know my Mazda3 will. I love them both, for different reasons.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks for posting that link. That should be a help to others who might be considering the Ford Hybrid as a future choice. As for the seat covers... They will work for me, I think. My van had an all leather interior and I made the mistake of not putting a seat cover on the drivers side at least. After 10 years of use, with the rest of the seats looking to be almost new, the drivers seat was really showing the wear and tear on it. I also noticed that I had a bunch of orange "popcorn" under the seat as the seat cushion was going bad on me. So, hence the seat covers. If I find something that looks better, I might replace them.

Yes, it is so much fun to drive! As much fun as my Mazda RX-7 rotary drive when I bought it new many years ago. Up to now, that was the most fun to drive.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Well Ray, Iīm pretty sure that your leather interior would look quite OK, if not better than new with some nice patina if you treat it with leather treatment from time to time.
Modern cars does have quite an disanvantage compare to old style cars and that is the fact that the leather is painted, and with thick paint, to the correct color and this makes it more difficult for it to breath. There are A LOT of different levels of quality as well, in the same car, not to mention that most brands still use vinyl on some places but still call it "full leather". Oh yes, they cheat and they do it on purpose! There is money to save you know…. And Ford are experts in saving that kind of money I tell you. Oh yeah. So you can wear off the paint without to much effort. Sometimes only by enter and exit the car while sliding over the seat, wears out the paint and another color appears. Still, by using leather treatment, they still look SO MUCH BETTER than not using it.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Default Focus

Hi Ray, Just on a curious note, the 2013 Focus Hatchback sold for $32,990 here in OZ. The Diesel sold for $ 36,490. If you got it with all the bells & whistles an extra $2,500.

If not being personal how much were they in the States.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Hi Chris,

I will do some research on that after the Tostito's Bowl is over and send ya a PM! I am watching football, U. of Central Florida vs Baylor U.

"It's Hip To Be Square"