This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the kind words. I've traveled about 50 miles with the car, all within a 5 mile radius from the house. This car is truely turn-key, everything works and works well. Blinkers cancel, shifter is tight and positive, the windows are effortless and in perfect alignment, all lights work, drives like a dream. There is no 'everthing works but.....'. Feels like 1960 and I just picked it up from the showroom.

I never intended to buy this car, only looked at it out of curiousity and to photograph. But once I saw the car and realised how much time, money and care were invested, I had second thoughts, and my wife was very supportive. This is easily a 30K car for someone like myself to buy and restore, not to mention the years it couldn't be driven while being rebuilt. It made the asking price a very appealing. I was never fond of the exterior chrome package or a Continental Kit, but this car wears them well and I'm liking them.

Andy rebuilt the front and rear suspension and added Coker H78-14, I like the ride of this car, while being tight and straight, it takes me back to another time with the steering response and that body roll only found on these vintage car. The sounds of the car are music to my ears, not even thinking about any audio systems, they'd only drown out all the sounds of the engine, drive train and road.

The Continental Kit adds 13" to the car which presented a problem for garaging, took me two weeks to find a garage as length was an issue in my older town, ended up in a new storage facility, 15 minute walk and I'm behind the wheel.

Ray, I'll submit pictures to you in the future to consider for next year's calendar.

This car truely makes one appreciate the effort and dedication required to bring one of these old cars back to glory and my hats off to those of you out there that have accomplished this feat. I'm reminded of Bart (bcomo) on this Forum and his 60 430 HT that's for sale, if someone is considering a purchase or know someone who is, look into Bart's car, it's selling for probable half the cost of the restoration, and it's an awesome car!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE427 View Post
Several weeks ago I got another Thunderbird, formally owned by 430MEL. I wrote about the car, that I was considering the purchase and it's ultimate sale to someone else.

Well, the deal went sour and I'm now the new owner. It's an outstanding car and most of the car's service history was easy to locate, on this site where 430MEL posted regularly.

Here's a few picture when I got the car, it's a joy to drive.
WOW! What a stunning bird.

Your description about how it is build and run, sounds like the 60 430 I tryed here last year ( in full speed +125 mph....). Drove like a charm.
Congratiolations!
I also like the house in the background
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 06-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

As I mentioned before Ken, She's a Beauty. Now tell us the truth, does the Clock work?

Chris....From the Land of OZ.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Chris,
Christine's clock did not work when I got her, so I thought I will take the back off and look at it. Everything looked in tack. So I got out my WD-40 and sprayed on the gears a couple of times. Applied power and she runs!
Now when I take her out, of course I always undo the battery when she is not in use, I connect the battery and get in the clock is always running!
They say WD-40 is also good for stiff joints!!! LOL, LOL, LOL
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Super-Experienced

Yes, not only does the clock work, the windshield washer works also. I feel like the warranty card should be arriving in the mail any day now.

Andy also updated the car with an Edlebrock Carb and Pretronixs ignition, after a week, one pump, turn the key and it's running.

Anders, don't think I'll be pegging the speedometer anytime soon, the need for speed doesn't call to me any longer, the leisurely pace suit me fine. Although my right foot struggles with that logic while I'm behind the wheel of that torquey 430, it pulls real nice.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

If you carefully look at the clock you can identify the places where parts are moving against one another - bushings and so on. If you can get some sewing machine grade oil in there, you will help long term life alot. The WD40 will evaporate in due time. It has doubtless had no lubrication since the factory and not much then.

john
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Talking

WOW!!! I can't hardly believe that the Aqua-matic windshield washer system does work on this fine 430cid Bird? You better capture it on video ASAP!! LOL!!!

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Last edited by tbird430 : 06-04-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

We gotta see it to believe it.

Chris ....From the Land Of OZ.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Min works as well, as I have mensioned before.
But....
Yesterday I found out it is electric....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Super-Experienced

I'd have to borrow a recorder to capture this, but with the mechanism mounted on the generator, it's buried and would be hard to capture.

While at the VTCI International meet in Colorado last year, I watch several working units on the 58-59's that were mounted on the water pump of the FE's. These are in clear view and interesting to watch, the stream of fluid to the windshield was marginal at best, but seeing an operational system was a treat.

I'll see what I can do about recording mine, be patient.