X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimz Bird
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2011

Dream and Drool

The site for hot Y-Block parts and Speed Equipment...

Jim
    Jimz Greenie with a White Hat and Brown Guts (ZE-XG)
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jimz web site
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I've never met or spoke with John Mummert, but I am grateful that he has modernized Ford's Y-Block. There are others who keep this engine alive, too.

John has upgraded the Y to a modern version, one with aluminum heads (manufactured by Edelbrock), a roller timing chain, an aluminum valley cover & rocker covers, etc. He also sells kits to hop up this old engine.

Most folks would drop the idea of building the Y because of cost and availability of good parts vs the cost of a SBF or Romeo engine and a modern tranny.

Y-Blocks were built with engineering faults, like scant rocker arm and timing chain oiling, etc. This was Ford's first attempt at an over head valve engine that Thunderbird only used for three years. I'm not bashing the Y because I have a 292 in our '59 Galaxie. No, it's not pure stock. All those engines were designed for different gas and oil, (including FE engines) and I have 'worked around' the design flaws with the help of many Y-Block restorers.

I am a member of http://www.y-blocksforever.com/ and so is John Mummert. That site is full of great technical and mechanical restorers, enthusiasts, and owners. I must offer kudos to Ted Eaton and Tim McMaster over there, who really know and love their Y-Blocks. These two craftsmen are top-drawer in my book because they freely help anyone with any engine question. - Dave Dare
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Jimz Bird
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2011

2nd on that site!!

Ted Eaton has built a 540 HP Y-Block. Not bad for an original design eh? He tests lots of equipment and posts the results. He is also in the process of doing a Massive Header test which is quite interesting.

While Mable is bone stock now, I plan to have her "Mummertized" to some extent. I think his prices are competitive and with so many China parts around it is worth getting parts from a known source. I'm chuckin' the dimes in the Piggy Bank now.

After some general upgrades - disc brakes, sway bars, headers etc I want that Low rise intake.
      Attached Files
      Jim
      sigpic

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

I can just see that intake polished and the pockets of the insignia painted with Thunderbird Blue and red to match the polished aluminum Thunderbird rocker covers!!!

Comment

• Jimz Bird
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2011

Yesssssssss you can - well polished but not painted here:
          Attached Files
          Jim
          sigpic

Comment

• Y-Blokkah
            Apprentice
            • Oct 4 2018

I’ve been keeping my eyes open for a decent box stock 55 Fairlane 2dr Sedan, and when I find the one I want, I’ll build the engine up with some of the old junk I’ve collected over the years.
            No, it won be all modern and aluminum, nothing but the gaskets will be newer than 58, but it’ll be pure vintage Ford High Output Y.

Hats off to Mummert and the others for keeping this engine viable.

Comment

• newyear
              Experienced
              • Jan 4 2005

My Facebook friends(V8 Hotrods) really like the Y block Link!

Many thanks
              Peter

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎