Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tharry8
    • Feb 27 2011

1964 T-Bird Oil Pump Installation

Need some help. My son and I needed to replace the gasket on the oil pan (was leaking). To drop the pan you have to unbolt the oil pump. That was easy...

How do you reinstall the oil pump? The repair manual says to place pump in pan, and raise pan up and rest on the cross member (cross member is in way, so cannot lift pan straight up, that is why the oil pump had to be removed). Somehow we are supposed to install the pump drive shaft into the oil pump and into the distributor shaft hex opening. There is only a couple of inches (maybe 2) to manipulate it. There must be a technique for this.

The other thing I was thinking about is installing the pump without the shaft. Then I could remove the distributor and install the shaft from the top. Any thoughts on this?

Appreciate any help.
  • redstangbob
    Experienced
    • Feb 18 2011

Looks like you got the best answer already at another site. That's the way to do it. I use 6 small zip ties to locate the pan gasket so it doesn't fall off, just leave them loose and cut them after starting the pan bolts. I don't like dropping the shaft in from the top, if it goes wrong, you'll be sorry! have the front of the car high enough to work, and take your time, it's not that hard. Good luck, Bob C

Comment

• tharry8
      • Feb 27 2011

Bob - Which answer is the best that you are referring to? Also, good idea on holding the gasket in place!

Comment

• redstangbob
        Experienced
        • Feb 18 2011

If the motor mounts are old and squished out, you might not get the pan up with the pump in place. Put all your parts in the pan and let it rest on the cross member. A glob of grease will hold the shaft in the distributor. Put the pick up on last if you have a tight squeeze, and I use silicone where the rear main cap and front cover parting lines are. Hope this helps, Bob C
        Last edited by redstangbob; February 27, 2011, 04:23 PM.

Comment

• tharry8
          • Feb 27 2011

Thanks Bob. There is less than 2" between the pan and engine, so I think I will have to jack the engine up as well.

Comment

I took the pan off my 66 without takeing the pump off. Just jacked the motor up as high as it would go and turned the crank to get it to clear. it fell off

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Ummmmm! Before anyone raises their engine up.... Remember to raise the hood first!.... Don't do what one of the village idiots here did while working on my Tbird. His manager told him to open the hood before he started working on replacing my engine mounts. He forgot to, pushed up on the engine and drove the retaining rod that the bat wing nut screws onto to keep the air cleaner locked down, right into the center of my hood, dimpling it. They had to take the hood off and get it fixed, and HE lost his job...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Ray, was that the same idiot that caused an electrical fire under your dash? Or the guy who wiped out your constant voltage regulator (twice)?

I mean, c'mon... who would raise an engine with the hood closed??? Even if he didn't use an overhead crane, at least you get more light under the engine with the hood open.

You might want to disconnect your fuel line and radiator hoses before lifting. Watch your trans lines and fan, too.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected

You might want to disconnect your fuel line and radiator hoses before lifting. Watch your trans lines and fan, too.
                  Yep, keep an eye on that bottom fan-blade as you lift the motor at the front

As the motor angle increases the bottom blade gets closer to the radiator.
                  A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

No, that was another of the village idiots who used to work there. That was also the business that the owners son ran Rose into the back of the manager's F-250 pickem up truck and destroyed her front end... I don't do business with them anymore....

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tharry8
                      • Feb 27 2011

Thanks for all the great advice! Will take a shot at it this Saturday morning and let you all know how it went!

Comment

• tharry8
                        • Feb 27 2011

Originally posted by tbirds8
                        I took the pan off my 66 without takeing the pump off. Just jacked the motor up as high as it would go and turned the crank to get it to clear. it fell off
                        TBird - How did you decide "as high as it would go" was? Did you unbolt anything besides the motor mounts?

Thanks!

Comment

I forgot i took the top part of the fan shroud off also but ya just the mounts. Keep an eye up top when you do this you'll know when it's high enough. I jacked it up by the bell houseing just go easy plenty of 2x4s

Comment

• JohnG
                            John
                            • Jul 28 2003

Another consideration while removing the pan is strategically rotating the crankshaft so the counterweights are not in the way. If the middle to rear ones are at their lowest point it makes it impossible to get the pan past them. The bolt on the end of the crank takes a 15/16" wrench; an offset box end works pretty good.

John
                            1958 Hardtop
                            #8452 TBird Registry
                            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                            history:
                            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Astrowing
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 22 2009

On my engine ('58 352) you have to be careful that the bellhousing especially the top center bolt doesn't go into the bottom of the AC evaporator housing. That's as high as I can lift it and it is about 1 2x4 above the motor mount. Replace the oil pump shaft and make sure that the clip is adjusted properly so removing the distributor doesn't pull the shaft out of the oil pump. I found that a shaft from a 292 had been shipped to me which is slightly shorter than those from a 352/390 FE.
                              sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎