• Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

292 HD 4Bbl Intake Gaskets

From a CTC newsletter article.
    Gil’s Garage (check the CTC website)

"Paint burn off at the intake center cross over has always been a problem on Ford Y block engines. This can be held to a minimum if heavy duty 292 truck intake gaskets are use. The trucks were never factory equipped with 312 engines, but starting in 1958 they did produce a heavy duty four barrel 292 engine, that used a similar four barrel intake manifold. Most truck four barrel intake manifolds were not drilled for a choke heat tube. A picture of the Heavy duty truck 292 intake manifold can be seen on page 277 of the restoration manual. The 292 heavy duty four barrel truck intake gaskets are no longer available from FoMoCo, but they are available after market. They can be purchased at most automotive parts stores that sell Victor gaskets, P/N MS15116. The Truck gaskets have smaller holes that restrict heat transfer through the center of the intake manifold. The attached picture shows a truck gasket (top) and a standard 312 gasket with large hole (bottom). The use of the truck gaskets coupled with good quality high temp engine paint can significantly reduce paint burn off. Gil Baumgartner"

Here are two pix from the article.
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

First off, these crossover holes are there to heat up the bottom of the carb plenum for better and faster engine heat-up in very cold Chicago winters.

If you close off this port, it affects the heat riser valve, causing it to open before it should.

For us'uns that only run our classic cars in good weather or in warm climates, we really don't need a heat riser valve (the 430 has none). I gutted mine with a cutting torch but left the outside looking like it's still intact.

I also used shim stock to block off my crossover ports. I didn't do it to keep paint looking pretty, I made this change to get rid of heat and make it exit the exhaust manifolds asap. That way, the cooling system doesn't deal with it.

BTW, I get my Y-block gaskets from Rockauto.com. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎