X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Paint color for Hood Latchs and Cable

Does anyone know what color to paint the hood latchs and cable that are on the firwall? The originals might have been zinc plated, but I'm not sure.

I think that I remember the concourse guide saying "Argent Silver". Could that mean to paint them Argent Silver to reproduce the Zinc color?

If they were Zinc plated, Eastwood has several paints that contain Zinc to reproduce Zinc color. Has anyone used that?

Thanks
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

The VTCI concourse rules state that the hood locks were silver cadmium plated in 1958-59 and gold cadmium plated in 1960. The hood bolts and latch catch are silver cadmium plated, while the safety latch is gold cadmium plated.

Cadmium plating does not last well. After all these years, the original pieces all have a coating of rust. It is really hard to tell the original finish. I had my locks zinc plated. It is not as bright as chrome plating. It has held up well for over ten years on my car.

The Eastwood argent looks good. I used it on the hood bolts and safety catch and latch. Eastwood also has a cadmium paint system. You may want to try that.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

I'll look at what Eastwood has for the cadmium paint and get the argent as well. Thank you very much for the information.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎