This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:51 AM
Noob

Y-Blokkah is on a distinguished road
Default Question on using factory wheels.

I hope Iím not rehashing everything here, but hereís my question.

With he exception of a dual master cylinder under the hood, I want to retain a more or less stock appearance:

1. Booster hidden under the instrument panel as per original, and

2. Run factory 59 T-Bird wheels with factory wheel covers because I want to retain the factory look regarding wheel setback, etc.

3. Retain factory suspension with factory spindles for proper steering geometry, etc.

Iíve looked through the threads, stickys, and the various articles on the subject. Iím really not in the mood for much creative hot rodding on this one, Iíd just like to have an original look with the safety of dual path brakes and front discs.

Has anyone figured out a magic combination for that, or am I going to need to give something up here?
Old 10-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

You can't have usable disc brakes without having a booster under the hood. The under dash booster alone is not going to cut it. You also cannot use the factory wheels. They won't clear any disc brake caliper. There are 14" Ford rims that will work. You can retain the factory spindles using the Scarebird brackets.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

To add to John's answer, once you cover the wheel with a full wheel cover, how would you know what is behind it? Full wheel covers like stock sunbursts cover everything.

Ford cars and truck like Granada and Ranger came with 14" wheels AND disc brakes. Those wheels (and many others) work nicely on a Squarebird. I don't know of any modern wheels that are NOT made for disc brakes.

The topic of 'disc brakes' boils down to a safety issue. All cars will stop. Turn the key off and it will stop by itself much the same as Henry's first quadracycle. It had no brakes so Henry stuck his foot out and dragged it on one of the front tires.

Noting that all modern cars already have disc brakes, the question is, how fast do you want your car to stop? Would aftermarket wheels or booster placement prevent you from stopping within a safe distance? If your car lives in a garage or on a trailer it doesn't matter. On today's roads and in competition with modern cars, you bet I have power disc brakes on ALL my cars. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Noob

Agreed on the safety issue. that's why I want to use them. This car will be a driver, as in cruises, and family outings, not a trailer queen.
My car has factory air, so there's definitely going to be some clearance issues there.
As far as the wheels go, I don't car one bit about the original wheels, but I do care for a stock LOOK.
Here's an extreme example: a guy clips a shoebox Ford and suddenly the wheels are bulging out the wheel openings. We've all seen them, IMHO that looks seriously corny. I'd like to avoid the Wide-Track look if I can. So does anyone know if the wheel distance from the mount on a Granada wheel matches the 'Bird?

I know my question might have been answered a million times in the past, and again, I'm sorry for that.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

You might want to ask Ray down there in San Antonio. He's running power disk brakes with Granada wheels. I think he got them from one of your bone yards for cheap.

Those wheels were used on a HOST of Ford cars and light trucks. Lincoln Versailes, Mustang, LTD, Granada, Monarch, etc. And, you're right, wheels and power disc brakes are extensively covered here. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-09-2018, 12:22 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Ernie, I found my 14" vented rims off a '70's Granada with disc brakes on it. These rims also had the nubs around the center part of the rim, so you could mount dog dish hubcaps on it if you did not want to go full wheel covers. I decided to paint my rims matching yellow of the car, after having them cleaned up, and painted black originally. I added 14" chrome wheel trim, and popped on FORD dog dish hubcaps.

Since the Granada had disc brakes on the front, I grabbed all four rims off the car, and the spare in the trunk. I think they cost me about $10 each as I recall, about 8 years or so ago. It does not have to be a Granada. Any 70's Ford car with OEM 14" disc brake ready rims on it, will work. There is a list in the Members Conference as to what to look for. Here are some pix of my rims an dog dish hubcaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14by6InchRimFrontalView1.jpg (136.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 14by6InchRimWidth.jpg (85.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg YellowRimHubcap3.jpg (107.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg YellowRimRingHubcap1.jpg (113.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 14x6InchDiscBrakeReadyRim.jpg (96.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg EyeCandy10Sm.jpg (103.5 KB, 40 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 AM
Noob

Ray, youíre killiní me here! Iím a traditionalist, and you KNOW poverty caps with trim rings are the ultimate eye candy to guys like me.

Gorgeous car, and I love the look!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:46 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Hi Ernie, thanks for the comments. After I had the guys who painted Tweety Bird, paint my rims to match, I thought, why would I want to slap on full sized wheel covers and hide the yellow paint? So I decided to go with FORD dog dish hubcaps that I had found on FeeBay, since I had the mounting points for them on the rims. Then I decided to add the chrome beauty rings to set it off. You could leave the rims black, slap on a set of OEM full sized wheel covers and call it done...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

My under dash booster seemed to be working fine, but my drums were really no
different with that booster connected up or not.

If you want to go through the trouble of changing pedal ratio,
you can do manual disks. My moms 77 Granada had them. I detest anything
more than 1/2 inch of brake pedal travel, so to me they would be horrible,
but plenty have done them in the past. Think you are supposed to be in the
7:1 range. I can dig into my notes on stock pedal ratio if you need it.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Noob

Sure, I'd love to know, thanks!