Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best/correct size tire for 62 T-bird with Kelsey hayes rims??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best/correct size tire for 62 T-bird with Kelsey hayes rims??

Hello everyone. I need some help/advice. What is the best/correct tire size for my 62 Thunderbird?? Right now there are 215/75/14's on it. I have 5 very nice Kelsey Hayes wire wheels which where originally on the car. These were in the trunk along with the tri-power unit. I know about places like Coker etc. Their prices for the American Classic is nearly $200!!. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

Tire size '62

215-75R14 is the closest match to the original 8.00x14 bias ply, but it is slightly smaller in height/circumference and slightly wider, and when you factor in the radial tire's propensity for the sidewall to "squish" more between the contact patch and rim, the car will sit lower than the original configuration. The next step up, 225-75R14, will be slightly oversize but fills the tire well very nicely. Problem with this size is that is very hard to find today, and probably will be a tad pricey if and when you do find one. You don't want to go with a 70-series profile as it will be wider and may present rubbing issues against the suspension.
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Tire size for 62 T-bird with Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheels

Thanks so much Alan. I will probably end up with trying to stay with the 215/75/14's. I know the width of the whitewalls is kind of a personal choice. The wide WW seems to frame the Kelsey Wires nicely. What width came on the car originally?? Thanks again, Dr. Mike

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

'62 Whitewall Width

Original WSW width for '62 was 1" with roughly the same space of blackwall between WSW and rim. Much more info regarding original specs like this are in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications manual, which can be ordered by VTCI members at www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎