Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artvandalay
    • Oct 13 2017

1961 Thunderbird rust!!

I have question that I think I know the answer to but I feel like I need to ask anyway. I was looking at a 61 T-Bird that needs some body work, interior is in great shape, has a fuel leak ( told it's the tank / lines ) car is complete but what worries me is. When I was looking underneath looks like it's rusted pretty good not the floors but the frame ( unibody) underneath the drives door / floor.
    I couldn't get a good look the car is sitting really low on the rear end.
    Is this something that's going to end up being an issue, simple fix, etc....
    The only reason why I'm looking at this car is it was my fathers car 20 + years ago, he left me his 60 T-Bird which I still have and thought it would be nice to have his other bird but don't want to get stuck with something that's going to be nothing but issues.

Thanks for any opinion, suggestions, etc.... !!!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Rust in the unibody structure is never a simple fix. You need to have some experience in welding as well as the ability to fabricate whatever pieces you are going to need as they are not something you can buy off the shelf. Unless it's a convertible my suggestion is to let it go.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Joe Johnston
      Super-Experienced
      • Dec 23 2008

I've been down this road and also think safely fixing a badly rusty structure is a task that is expensive and should not be tackled by just anyone. Its one thing if you have the time, money and space and want to learn then I would suggest give it a try, but to jump in and think you can easily restore the car as a memory of your father, perhaps you should reconsider. Maybe taking lots of pictures of the car (including the data plate) and make a folder to enjoy the memories would be a viable alternative? Good luck with your decision, preserve and enjoy the 60.

Comment

• artvandalay
        • Oct 13 2017

I figured but I needed to get as many suggestions/ opinions before I decided to pass on the car. I appreciate the help.

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

Hi Daryl, anything is fixable. The important thing to me would be time & money. I know there's sentimental reasons behind the decision, but you must way out the pros & cons. Do you plan to remove the rust yourself? if not, get a quote for some idea.
          Wish you the best with whatever decision you make.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• artvandalay
            • Oct 13 2017

I already told the guy I'm going to pass on the car. I feel like there is a lot more than just the frame to get the car road worthy. I figured the money I would put in this one I can just put it towards my 60 bird. Sucks but don't want to get stuck with something that's going to be nothing but issues and problems.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Daryl good sound reasoning in passing on the 61 and putting your resources into the 60. Emotions can create a lot of $$$ spent in the long run which is why the term " money pit " was created.
              Keep us posted and send pics on the 60
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡