X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lainey
    Apprentice
    • Feb 23 2005

wiper replacement

Has anyone used the replacement electric wiper motor that supposedly is an exact fit fot the vacuum unit it replaces? If so, are you satisfied and do you feel it's worth the $200. Thanks Birdman.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: wiper replacement

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• lainey
      Apprentice
      • Feb 23 2005

Thanks, also I had my daughter try to sent pictures of my 60. Do you know if any were received, Thanks again.

Comment

• Rockin Kev
        Experienced
        • Oct 31 2002

I have fitted this system to both my T-Birds and have been very satisfied. the fit is perfect but you will need to remove the radio and glove box to gain access to all areas you need.
        You will lose the self cancel operation on the wipers so if the wipers are not in use they will not return to the park position.
        You will need to push the wipers down manual by hand if its not raining, but the kit is good and you can use your old wiper switch knob and not the one in the kit. Now at the end of the day how many squarebirds still have that wonderful full vacume washer system as many have gone over to electric so do it with your wipers.
        Help is on hand on a one to one basis for instulation on
        kev1960tbird@aol.com
        Kev 1960 430 Golde Top
        England.

Comment

Im considering adding an old fashion foot pump. I dont think Ive ever seen a Squarebird where the window washer works.......unless it was converted to electric.

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

I would like to suggest you consider having the original vacuum based motor rebuilt. I sent mine to the site Alexander had provided elsewhere. Cost $75 and came back in 8 days along with a warranty. I installed it and it works absolutely great!

Positive sides would be: totally original, cost far less, took less time. The only negative I can think of might be if you drove the car in a climate with heavy rain and you wanted every last bit of wiper capability you could get.

I have yet to get that Rube Goldberg washer pump to work as my power steering is temporarily out of the car. The little switch to the left of the driver is the first obstacle as it leaks vacuum in most cases (check this even if you never use it as its that much less vacuum to drive your wiper motor. A leak is a leak!) However the thing is so fascinating that I plan to get it to work some day.

Having said all this, I try very hard to never drive my car in the rain! Probably 80% of the window seals would leak like sieves! I do all this stuff for the fun of restoring the car to it's original operating condition.

John
            58 Hardtop
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎