X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by chris58
    ...They are definitely a challenge to restore though and really would be nowhere if it wasn't for help of people like Dave (simplyconnected) and others. Very helpful site, especially when you've bled gm your whole life.
    Chris, I'm only passing to y'all, the information that the REAL engineers imparted to me. These are the guys who actually designed your engines and car bodies, and engineers who designed the machines and dies to make all the parts.

These are men who retired many decades ago but were very proud of their work and their service to Ford Motor Co. They were eager to help anyone who had questions regarding their work. I was fortunate to be there and work with them in Manufacturing Development and in some of the plants. For a car guy, I hit the lottery. Now, I'm glad to help you.

Here we are fifty - sixty years later, trying to look back and decipher a car that was built to standards that don't exist today. Kudos to Alexander, who brought us all together in a magnificent world-class forum of Squarebird enthusiasts, mechanics, restorers and administers. He melded the old with the new products, technologies and techniques to save many more Squarebirds from the crusher.

I have the highest regard for restorers abroad because I know how hard it is to restore a car in the US. I'm amazed how you guys do it in far away continents.

Squarebirds.org is blessed with a staff of skilled restorers from many disciplines and each one of us are here to help our fellow 'birders in any way we can, even if it brings one more T-bird back on the road for all to enjoy. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Believe me Dave, it's greatly appreciated. The best forum I'm on for sure.
      Finished painting the bottom of the rear of the car today, painted inside the trunk, ready for trimming. Slowly getting stuff done that's a bit cheaper to do.
      Once I get the rear bushing redone that'll be one big part done and finished assembled.
      Seeing some progress.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Your work and your progress look great, Chris. Keep up the good work. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 619Square
          Apprentice
          • Aug 20 2009

Well done! Looks like a great build... keep us informed with your progress!
          --------------------------------
          1960 Thunderbird
          Been in my family since 1961
          Portland, OR

Comment

• 619Square
            Apprentice
            • Aug 20 2009

Originally posted by chris58
            hi all, ive got a few more pics. these are of the interior. the interior was pretty ordinary when i got the car, a bit of elbow grease and some black and white vinyl dye and it came up pretty good.
            ive also installed a b&m quicksilver shifter for the new gearbox and the original column shift will be removed. also added some neat gauges which i think work quite well with the existing chrome inside the car.
            Question?? How did you know where to cut the gear shifter in on the trans tunnel? I am going to install a C6 with a hurst shifter... looking for a bit of advise!

Thanks!!
            --------------------------------
            1960 Thunderbird
            Been in my family since 1961
            Portland, OR

Comment

Pretty simple really. With the console removed I just sat the shifter in a comfortable place and made sure I had enough clearance, mainly for the park position. I'm using a b&m quicksilver. Also need to make sure that u have enough room for the cable hole to be cut in the floor in front of shifter.
              I think from memory the hole is 1" diameter and needs to be roughly 2" in front of shifter.
              I now just need to cut console to suit.
              Not a real tricky job.

Comment

hi all, been away for a little while but i thought id show some progress made.
                rear end rebuilt and rebushed, engine bay painted and engine installed and body ready to paint.
                been a big job but getting there.
                heres some pics.
                plus one of my little helper getting her hands dirty
                Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Yes, you should take note... That sweet little girl is drawing your attention to the all-important timing marks, just so you get it right. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Haha, true Dave. That's what she does in between trying to stuff plastic tools down the spark plug holes.
                    She was devastated when it went back in the car.
                    great daddy/daughter time.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Chris, your whole car looks dynamite. I recognize the engine color as 'Pontiac Blue' (circa 1969) and I love it.

I know you are restricted to OEM standards but... is there any chance you can replace your power brake booster with a two-stage 8"? That would set you up for a dual-piston M/C. Right now I am thinking of your daughter and your family, cruising in a Squarebird that is not only gorgeous but much safer.

Your work is top drawer. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks Dave, it is getting there.
                        The vacuum booster is a brand new unit which will be running a dual m/c for the new disc brake system. Master cylinder just not installed yet.
                        In Australia it won't pass roadworthy certificate with a single stage.
                        Believe me, the biggest thing to me is safety.
                        Appreciate the comments.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                          Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Chris you have done a wonderful job on bringing back your 58 along with your helper of course. I am sure you cannot wait to get the paint completed and cruisin
                          There are a lot of knowledgeable members on our site that make the restoration process go smoother. Can't wait to see her finished.
                          Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Thanks guys, hopefully have it back from paint in the next couple of weeks, then the fun part, reassembly.
                            Still going to be chasing a few parts which are a bit hard to find in Australia plus the cost of reconditioning parts here is ridiculous but hopefully complete over the winter.
                            Most certainly Dan, and without some of the help I've received so far it would be nowhere near this stage.

Comment

• sidewalkman
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 14 2015

Nice nice nice!!
                              Scott
                              South Delta, BC, Canada
                              1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
                              Red Leather Interior!
                              www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
                              Thunderbird Registry #61266
                              http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

hey all, thought id share a few updates on my 58 build.
                                half painted now, centre console built to house the floor shift, rechromed bumpers.
                                probably the brightest white ive ever seen.
                                getting excited now, final paint will be done this coming weekend.
                                Enjoy, chris.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎