X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

430 Engine Block Number

1959 430 Engine number -- 4-08E -- ( the E is engraved backwards ). This number is located in the front drivers side were the block and cylinder head meet, on a machined pad, numbers are stamped, not cast.

Can someone help decode these and mention the source if you've refered to a book or manual. Looked over Steve Christ Book on Big Block FE's, nothing jumped out at me to help with this 430 MEL.

Thanks, Ken
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop
  • KULTULZ

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

Thanks for taking the time to look this information up and posting the image of the Service Bulletin. Comparing the information to my TBird does raise a question about the Assembly Date Code of my engine.

The car's build date is Nov 1958, the engine's Assembly Date of 4-08E (inverted E) would decode as August 30,1960 prompting me to think that the block isn't original to the car. (the intake date code is July 28,1958, Eng # EDG)

It seems that 1959 was the transition year when the format of Engineering Numbers and date codes were revised by Ford. Also, in the 1960 models, VIN codes were changed to a new format. Did Assembly Date Codes change also?

Would it stand to reason the Assembly code for 8/30/60 would have read 4-0H30 ? My code of 4-08E (inverted E) looks like a code used prior to 1960. Possibly a mistake that should have been 4-80E. An engine assembled on Oct 30,1958 seems likely to be installed in a Nov 58 Production Car.

I'll try to locate the casting dates on the block and heads to see how they fit within the time period.

Any additional insight would be appreciated.
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by GTE427

The car's build date is Nov 1958, the engine's Assembly Date of 4-08E (inverted E) would decode as August 30,1960 prompting me to think that the block isn't original to the car. (the intake date code is July 28,1958, Eng # EDG)

It seems that 1959 was the transition year when the format of Engineering Numbers and date codes were revised by Ford. Also, in the 1960 models, VIN codes were changed to a new format. Did Assembly Date Codes change also?

Would it stand to reason the Assembly code for 8/30/60 would have read 4-0H30 ? My code of 4-08E (inverted E) looks like a code used prior to 1960. Possibly a mistake that should have been 4-80E. An engine assembled on Oct 30,1958 seems likely to be installed in a Nov 58 Production Car.

I'll try to locate the casting dates on the block and heads to see how they fit within the time period.
        4-08E -- ( the E is engraved backwards )
        I believe you are correct in your analogy. If you notice, the TSB refers to 58/59 production. Beginning in 1958/59, there were a lot of changes in the P & A numbering system (PN prefix-suffix). I do not have the 1960 TSB's.

Yours seems to be maybe a mix of the two. The reverse E identifies it as still early though.

-QUICK TUTORIAL of LATE FORD DATE CODES-

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎