X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Update To Tbird Ranch Advertisement

I just posted an update to John Draxlers Thunderbird Ranch Ad. He lists a lot of parts available for '58 Tbirds and up, and other years and models of cars on his EBay Store. Also, his Blog is now listing his 2 new dual MC/Dual Power Booster kits, with the mounting bracket. Also the AC version with the appropriate mounting bracket for AC equipped Squarebirds, that gets the setup clear of the AC plenum box. Check out his revised Ad in the Advertisements Forum! (Thanks to Joe Johnston for the tip!)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Ray:
    I looked around for John's updated site and blog and found some older listings, but nothing current. Could you post a link to his latest and greatest?
    Thanks
    Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Nyles, the only new information to me, was the information on his Blog regarding his new dual MC/Dual Power Booster kits, for non-AC & AC setups. Also, what was new to me, was his eBay Store, which I did not know that he had... The only thing new to you might be just the MC/Booster stuff. They are kits that I was aware of that he was working on, but when I last spoke to him a few weeks ago, he was not quite ready to advertise them yet. Apparently, he is now... The links to his website, Blog and eBay Store are all in his ad down in the Advertisements Forum...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Buckaroo
        Experienced
        • Jul 24 2013

Brake booster

Has anyone installed this brake booster set up? I am interested in it but would like to hear if anyone has installed it. How hard is it to remove the existing under dash unit?
        Dena & Dennis Gorder
        1958 Coupe
        Registry # 3422

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I do not know who might have done that installation yet of the equipment that John Draxler is offering for sale. You might send John an email and ask him for more information about it. Like who does he know who bought his system, and contact them to see what they have to say. I know he has tested it and it all works, including the version for AC equipped Tbirds, he said. As for removing the KH under the dash unit, neither Howard Prout or I did. We just left it in place and it has caused no problems by leaving it there, that I am aware of.

Comment

• Buckaroo
            Experienced
            • Jul 24 2013

Ray, I have emailed him. He did state the under dash unit needs to be removed. I also asked him for a quote on installing this, which I did receive. I was hoping someone had experience and what pitfalls I may run into.

After the first of the year I will call him or drive to see him. He is only about 70 miles from me.
            Dena & Dennis Gorder
            1958 Coupe
            Registry # 3422

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Dennis, you might tell him that myself, Howard Prout and some others have NOT taken the KH unit out during our conversion to dual mc/dual 8" power booster/disc brake conversion. As I said, we have not had any adverse problems with leaving them in. We did not use his system though, so perhaps, with his equipment, it does have to come out. It is something that you might want to let him know that others have left our KH units intact. Since you are fairly close to him, it should be an interesting visit with him, I would think.

If anyone has installed his equipment, they have not mentioned it to me.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Buckaroo
                ...He did state the under dash unit needs to be removed...
                I don't mean to step on toes BUT, there are good points regarding the issue of removing the bellows.

Bellows-type boosters simply helped the pedal, but not very much. That may have been ok when used with drum brakes but Ford (and GM) quickly abandoned that system and for good reasons. In fact, Ford upgraded ALL the original vacuum devices under the dash, in favor of 'electrical' and they never went back.

If you retrofit to power front disc brakes and change your wiper system to electric, you can remove the bellows, the check valve and vacuum tank because they serve no function besides taking up space and adding mass.

As for the bellows, the internal materials used back in the day were junk (by today's standards) and very expensive to replace. More importantly, the bellows offers very little to no boost for power disc brakes. The bellows bolts in place and in my opinion, should be removed to free up room next to the brake pedal.

Howard Prout left his in place but found it didn't help 'assist' his disc brakes. The thought was, any help is good. Turns out, it didn't help. He tested by unplugging the vacuum line which resulted in, no change.

I believe that fewer 'things' also means, fewer things to go wrong. Eventually, the bellows do fail causing a vacuum leak. A two-stage 8" booster is all you need for power disc brakes. It comes with a check valve and the booster holds enough vacuum for a few pedal pumps, like a modern car.

So, the choice is yours. You can leave the bellows there but it won't help. Or, the bellows can be removed. <--This is my preference. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Buckaroo
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 24 2013

I have drum/drum brakes and do not plan on replacing them with discs. I have wire wheels and I would like to keep them. I will do a test and see if my bellows and tank work. I have my doubts that they are actually helping. I have already changed to electric wipers.
                  Dena & Dennis Gorder
                  1958 Coupe
                  Registry # 3422

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

It's easy to disconnect the vacuum line and plug it. Try it out!
                    I believe you do need a booster regardless of which system (drum or disc) you have. The firewall booster is a single stage 10". I would use that as a bare minimum for power drum brakes but it is inadequate for front discs.

My understanding is that 14" wire wheels clear calipers. Again, it's something you can measure. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎