No announcement yet.

New member, Tommy with 59 t-bird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member, Tommy with 59 t-bird

Hi, I just purchased a 59 t-bird hardtop. I haven't gotten the car yet but went to look at it and noticed it has black valve covers with the word ford on them, as I looked further I noticed someone had a t-60 on both heads. The engine code is H and block is stamped 352, also the expansion tank is different the pressure cap is on a tube 90 degree angle facing the drivers fender. I didn't know where to look for block casting #. I now know but don't have access to car. The intake casting # is5751087. I guess i'm worried about the heads are 60 heads the same as 59 and would the compression stay the same. I'm like a little kid with this car I've been looking at it for over 4yrs and I finally was able to make a deal. I'm happy to be part of this forum I just love the square birds. Thanks for having me and thanks for any help in advance. Tommy C"
  • triple60squares
    Experienced
    • Jan 25 2013

im no expert but i thought all squarebirds should have a black painted engine yellow valve covers and a white aircleaner housing and fan

my 60's have ford stamped on the valve covers

the 59 and 60 heads should be the same all F/Es have 352 stamped on the front of the engine
    60 hardtop royal burgundy/ colonial white top
    60 hardtop colonial white/red leather
    60 convertable PARTS CAR will trade convert parts for hardtop parts

Comment

59 t-bird

Originally posted by triple60squares
      im no expert but i thought all squarebirds should have a black painted engine yellow valve covers and a white aircleaner housing and fan

my 60's have ford stamped on the valve covers

the 59 and 60 heads should be the same all F/Es have 352 stamped on the front of the engine
      Thanks for the reply but I probably didn't make myself clear. What has me confused is the valve covers are black. I don't know if someone painted them or if it's a different engine. They don't look like they have been painted.

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

New member with 59 t-bird

Hi Tommy, when I welcomed you to the Forum, I give each new member information on how to post pictures on here. It would help if you could take some good quality pix of your engine bay and then chose one of the three options I gave you and post your pix. Then we can better see what you have and give you better information and advice. Here is the link to your Welcome.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14501

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

59t-bird

Originally posted by YellowRose
          Hi Tommy, when I welcomed you to the Forum, I give each new member information on how to post pictures on here. It would help if you could take some good quality pix of your engine bay and then chose one of the three options I gave you and post your pix. Then we can better see what you have and give you better information and advice. Here is the link to your Welcome.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=14501
          Thanks for the welcome I took some pictures the other day and couldn't figure out how to download them i'll call dell tomorrow. I only have a few of engine and won't be going up where car is for at least a month, but I will post what I have as soon as I figure all this high tech stuff out. Lol" Thanks Tommy"

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Tommy, to simplify things, just email what you have to me and I can post them for you. You can also go to one of the free picture hosting websites, like Photobucket, create an account, set your pix to 800x600 and upload them to your new account. Then you post the link to those pix on the Forum for us to see. But to make it simple for you right now, send me the pix and I can post them for you. My email address is always part of my signature element below. Just replace the "at" with the @ sign...

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

59 t-bird

Hi Tommy, to simplify things, just email what you have to me and I can post them for you. You can also go to one of the free picture hosting websites, like Photobucket, create an account, set your pix to 800x600 and upload them to your new account. Then you post the link to those pix on the Forum for us to see. But to make it simple for you right now, send me the pix and I can post them for you. My email address is always part of my signature element below. Just replace the "at" with the @ sign...
              Thanks ray but that's my problem I can't download my pictures from my camera to computer. It's a new laptop and I really don't know what i'm doing but I have a contract with dell so i'll get them to help me in the am. Tommy"

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Okay, Tommy. If they show you how to take the pix off your camera have them show you how to save them to the computer Desktop. That way, you won't have to go looking for whatever folder they might have gotten put in. I save all my stuff to my Desktop and then when I am finished working with them, move them into the appropriate folder where I want them to stay at.

Comment

59 t-bird

Okay, Tommy. If they show you how to take the pix off your camera have them show you how to save them to the computer Desktop. That way, you won't have to go looking for whatever folder they might have gotten put in. I save all my stuff to my Desktop and then when I am finished working with them, move them into the appropriate folder where I want them to stay at.
                  Ray thanks for all your help. I'll work on it tomorrow and send you what I have. I had a restaurant outside of San Antonio off military rd. in early 90's called Antonetti's Italian corner. I loved san Antonio my youngest daughter was born there. Tommy"

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Might be a later model engine??

Only the '58 T-Bird 352's had black valve covers & blue blocks. The '59s are black blocks with BLUE valve covers, & the '60 352's used black blocks with yellow valve covers. ALL 3 years used the white air cleaners- Even on the 430cid 1959-60 Birds.

-Jon in TX.
                    sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Here are the two pix that Tommy sent me of the engine. I have never seen an expansion tank with the cap on the end like this on a Tbird! I will post the other pix Tommy sent in the Our Rides Forum. The exterior and interior is really nice looking that he is getting!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've seen that overflow tank before but not on a squarebird. Also unless the bell housing was painted that could be a Fordomatic transmission. If the valve covers were originally black the motor could be out of a '58 Ford. I'd be curious to see if it has solid lifters rather than hydraulic.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

59 t-bird

Originally posted by jopizz
                          I've seen that overflow tank before but not on a squarebird. Also unless the bell housing was painted that could be a Fordomatic transmission. If the valve covers were originally black the motor could be out of a '58 Ford. I'd be curious to see if it has solid lifters rather than hydraulic.

John
                          Hi John, I bought it without hearing it run. I know the owner very well and trust him but not sure about solid lifters or not. I know someone wrote with yellow marker on both heads t-60. So now i'm really confused. I can't remember the difference in bell housing on cruise or fordo. Thanks Tommy"

Comment

59 t-bird

Originally posted by tbird430
                            Might be a later model engine??

Only the '58 T-Bird 352's had black valve covers & blue blocks. The '59s are black blocks with BLUE valve covers, & the '60 352's used black blocks with yellow valve covers. ALL 3 years used the white air cleaners- Even on the 430cid 1959-60 Birds.

-Jon in TX.
                            Hi Jon, I can't figure it out and I didn't hear it run so I don't know if it has solid lifters or not. Jopizz thinks it could be a fordomatic I can't remember the difference, maybe it is a 58, but someone wrote with yellow marker t-60 on both heads. Thanks for your help. Tommy"

Comment

• GTE427
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Oct 9 2007

The heads look to be from a later model. Notice the threaded plugs in the head on the exhaust port, the air injector tube plumbing once resided with these heads.
                              Ken
                              1959 J Convertible
                              1960 J Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎