X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Transmission Additive - Need Opinions

I have one leak from the transmission lever seal on the 60 Cruise-O-Matic. It's not really that bad over a week period. But replacing the seal would involve dropping the tranny down and removing the Valve Body.

Appart from that one leak, I have a great shifting, non leaking tranny.

I know that Alexander, for example, used Lucas to correct shifting.

I need any opinions as to whether an additive is risky, and if this is worth the risk of using an additive to correct.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • 6TB1RD
    Experienced
    • Apr 9 2006

Bart:

All the additives I have dealt with, have rubber conditioners in them that help the rubber swell a little to stop the leaks. It will not harm any of the phenolic disks or any other part. I tried a Tranny stop leak in my power steering pump to see if I could stop the leak and it did not help.
    George (Papa of 9)
    1960 H/T :rolleyes:
    Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
    sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I have Lucas tranny additive in my '59 for years now. It cured the delay in of going into drive from Park. No significant leaks.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

I've also heard that the Seafoam brand tranny additive was a good one to use... I know the Seafoam fuel treatment works GREAT from personal exerience.
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 23 2005

Thanks so far ..... keep those opinions coming.

I appreciate the input very much.

Thanks
          Bart
          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

I added the Lucas Transmission Additive this morning. I drove the car about 5 miles. When I got home -- no more leak at the transmission lever seal. Shifting was still good as usual.

If I don't have any drips on the driveway tomorrow morning, then I would say that Lucas did the job.

I'll do a post after a few days to say if it's still doing the job.

Thanks for the input.
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• thunderbird61
              Apprentice
              • Jan 2 2007

Originally posted by bcomo
              I added the Lucas Transmission Additive this morning. I drove the car about 5 miles. When I got home -- no more leak at the transmission lever seal. Shifting was still good as usual.

If I don't have any drips on the driveway tomorrow morning, then I would say that Lucas did the job.

I'll do a post after a few days to say if it's still doing the job.

Thanks for the input.
              Well, did it work?

I'm considering it myself.

/Ronny

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

Ultimately, the Lucas did NOT stop the shift lever seal leak. It required dropping the tranny pan, removing the valve body, and shift lever to replace the seal.

I didn't have any shift problems before or after I added the Lucas, so I can't say that it did anything good or bad for shifting.
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• seven up

Do you use Type F fluid ?

I am curious to know if the Dexron's can contribute to leaks in these Cruise O matics.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Transmission Additive - Need Opinions

Hi Seven Up!

Since Bart is not around I think I can answer your question for you. In a conversation I had with Bart today regarding Lucas tranny additive and transmission fluid, he told me that Type F tranny fluid is the recommend fluid for our transmissions. Especially, if they have never been rebuilt.

Ray
                    '59 "Yellow Rose" VTCI #11178

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

Ray is correct in that if your COM has not been rebuilt, which would mean that it still has the older style clutch and band material, then Type F is what should be used. If the COM has been rebuilt, which would normally mean that it probably has the newer fiber clutch and band material, then you could use Mercron/Dexron.

Type F is backward compatable -- meaning that you can use Type F with the newer or older materials. It just provides a firmer shift. Whereas using Dexron/Mercron with older materials can cause slip in the clutches and bands. So, if in doubt as to what to use -- use Type F.

As far as causing more leaks using Dexron/Mercron -- I wouldn't think so. But, someone else may have more info on that aspect.
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• tarps3
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jul 21 2003

Originally posted by bcomo
                        Ray is correct in that if your COM has not been rebuilt, which would mean that it still has the older style clutch and band material, then Type F is what should be used. If the COM has been rebuilt, which would normally mean that it probably has the newer fiber clutch and band material, then you could use Mercron/Dexron.

Type F is backward compatable -- meaning that you can use Type F with the newer or older materials. It just provides a firmer shift. Whereas using Dexron/Mercron with older materials can cause slip in the clutches and bands. So, if in doubt as to what to use -- use Type F.

As far as causing more leaks using Dexron/Mercron -- I wouldn't think so. But, someone else may have more info on that aspect.
                        Is that true for other transmissions or does it only apply to Fords?
                        I ask because I own a '53 Olds and am trying to determine what type of fluid to use in it.
                        Casey

Comment

• bcomo
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 23 2005

Casey:

I have no idea about the 53 Olds tranny.

You might google a Classic Olds forum and do a search on tranny fluid. Or post that question on their forum.

I found this one that you might look at:

The leading community and resource for Oldsmobile owners and enthusiasts.
                          Bart
                          1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• seven up

Forgot that I asked about the Type F.

I'll be draining the COM and refilling with Type F when nice weather arrives. I want to say thank-you for the information about the correct fluid. Hopefully there will be a drain plug on the converter.

I've had to repeat myself several times to the chain store clerk when asking for Type F that went into a 70 F 250, C6 automatic. It's stamped onto the dipstick, though.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎