X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Cruisin Season

To a lot of us, this is time of the year to start cruisin and also to take in the various show & shines in your area. It is also a time to see old friends,make new ones who may share the same passion we have for our classics. Have a good season I also turned my squarebird calendar in my office to May and see Daniel Firth's 66 Tbird photo. Great looking bird Daniel
    Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Hi Dan
    Thanks. Bet you're all looking forward to a great summer. Down here in New Zealand (and Aussie of course) we're moving into winter. For Bill (penelope) his winter's like our summer, and while some parts of New Zealand get plenty of ice and snow, here in Auckland we just get rain, lots of rain, and lows of around 10 degrees celcius. The number of events drops off dramatically, but we can usually find something to do most weekends, rain or not.
    The weekend just gone (it's Monday here, Sunday there) we had a big rod run in Napier, which is a six-hour drive each way from where I live. Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) and Pete Chapouris (Legendary hot rod builder and owner of So Cal Speedshop) flew down here espcially to attend as special guests. It was huge (by Kiwi standards), 185 cars for Saturday's rod run and 650 for Sunday's display. I was rapt that my '62 Tbird got the 'Pete's pick award', and Billy Gibbons asked to sit in my car!
    I'll put up some pics as a separate post as soon as I've downloaded them.
    It's great to have the Tbird finally done and driving, it's probably clocked up around 3500kms (2200 miles) since I finished it early March
    Alistair
    Last edited by Petrolhead; May 3, 2009, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Penelope
      Super-Experienced
      • Mar 4 2008

Hey Alistair, great work on the Pete's pick!
      So you have had the seat embroidered now "a ZZ Top bum sat here"? So tell us, was he a sharp dressed man?

OK OK enough of the bad lines....I know
      sigpicBill
      Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• bird 60
        Super-Experienced
        • Mar 18 2009

Congratulations Alistair. Art Deco Napier is a beautiful place, been there twice for the February Festival. We found the scenary to be magic driving from Auckland to Napier. It was also very nice from Napier to Wellington but vey steep & hilly. To us the vegetation looked similar to Jurassic Park very Prehistoric in places. Did ZZ Top put on a show?
        Waiting for Pix.

Chris....From the Lnd of OZ.

Comment

• Petrolhead
          Experienced
          • Jul 2 2007

Chris....From the Lnd of OZ.[/quote]
          [Did ZZ Top put on a show?
          [/quote]
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Petrolhead; May 3, 2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by bird 60
            Congratulations Alistair. Art Deco Napier is a beautiful place, been there twice for the February Festival. We found the scenary to be magic driving from Auckland to Napier. It was also very nice from Napier to Wellington but vey steep & hilly. To us the vegetation looked similar to Jurassic Park very Prehistoric in places. Did ZZ Top put on a show?
            Waiting for Pix.

Chris....From the Lnd of OZ.

That's hard case, it was raining when we drove home and quite foggy, and that's exactly what my wife said. That, and 'slow down'... (ha ha)

(Did ZZ Top put on a show?)

It was so cool! There was a band after Sat night's prize-giving, which was kinda okay. They went off for a break, and came back on with a new guitar player... Billy Gibbons!
            What a surprise, he rocked, and I felt sorry for those who left early. He did a really cool long version of La Grange, there were 450 people there and I was right up at the stage, it was like having Billy Gibbons at a party at your house. I just about wet myself.

Penelope (Bill), he was so good we asked him to 'double back again'...

Comment

• Dan Leavens
              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Alistair the pixs are great and Mr.Gibbons as you know, is quite the collector of 32 / 34 coupes in his collection. What you may not know is he just picked up a 58 Tbird and he is having it fully restored albeit it slightly modified
              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
              Thunderbird Registry
              58HT #33317
              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Petrolhead
                Experienced
                • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Dan Leavens
                Alistair the pixs are great and Mr.Gibbons as you know, is quite the collector of 32 / 34 coupes in his collection. What you may not know is he just picked up a 58 Tbird and he is having it fully restored albeit it slightly modified
                Hi Dan, yes, Bily Gibbons did say that Pete Chapouris at So Cal is doing the '58 for him, should be pretty cool - wouldn't it be neat if it turned up in a music video one day. Pete's got a '61 and a '62 Tbird too, he got his first Tbird when he was in the Service.
                I asked Billy how many cars he has - 41. He said "One is too many, and 100 is never enough". He's very intelligent, and quite the softly spoken gentleman. Modest too, a regular guy.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Petrolhead
                  Hi Dan, yes, Bily Gibbons did say that Pete Chapouris at So Cal is doing the '58 for him, should be pretty cool - wouldn't it be neat if it turned up in a music video one day. Pete's got a '61 and a '62 Tbird too, he got his first Tbird when he was in the Service.
                  I asked Billy how many cars he has - 41. He said "One is too many, and 100 is never enough". He's very intelligent, and quite the softly spoken gentleman. Modest too, a regular guy.
                  Yeah, Billy is a true car nut and has had some wicked cars built. That is quite an honor I would think to have like your car, and having Pete from So Cal pick it wow

I wonder if it is possible to see what they are doing on the 58?
                  Last edited by RustyNCa; May 5, 2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I ll see if I have time to drop by So-Cal this wee and sneak a peek at the bird( if you dont hear from me again ---it because I got caught in the garage sneeking photos ) I ll see what I can do --So Cal is only a few miles from my shop

Comment

• Petrolhead
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by Mintgreenbird
                      I ll see if I have time to drop by So-Cal this wee and sneak a peek at the bird( if you dont hear from me again ---it because I got caught in the garage sneeking photos ) I ll see what I can do --So Cal is only a few miles from my shop
                      That's be cool! When Bill (penelope) was in CA he sent me a pic of '62 in the So Cal car park that one of the guys who works in the retail shop drives. Looked pretty cool, maybe you could catch up with him while you're there

What's your shop do?

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

• Dutchbird
                        Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                        Yeah, Billy is a true car nut and has had some wicked cars built. That is quite an honor I would think to have like your car, and having Pete from So Cal pick it wow

I wonder if it is possible to see what they are doing on the 58?

Especially to Rusty.............and Petrolhead of course! (and all other members who followed this thread)

I'm just relaxing after a great Rockabilly Weekend and was a bit of 'cooling down' around the internet tonight, when I suddenly faced these pics I really want to share with you.
                        (don't know if you're already familiar with the results of Billy Gibbons car by now?)

Just see for yourself below:
                        First pic on progress, three pics with the result when she's repainted black with gold & white accents.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Cruisin Season

Wow! That is pretty kewl, I think!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                          Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

MAN, SHE LOOKS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!
                            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Anders
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 19 2008

Right on! A mix between "Watson" and John Player Special, Lotus Formula 1

It donīt have electic windows....
                              Btw: Thanks for that AWESOME link!
                              Last edited by Anders; July 20, 2009, 01:13 AM.
                              sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎