No announcement yet.

"CORRECT" battery for a 60 Bird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"CORRECT" battery for a 60 Bird

Just got my New Battery from Antique Auto Battery co.
    THis is what they state:

Hard rubber raised letter case, POLY TAR** top with red Power Punch caps. 100% correct.

I got exactly that and the words POWER PUNCH raised on the side in BLACK, Can someone verify that this is Correct,.. I was under the impression that the Power Punch letters were to be yellow and the caps to be Yellow.
    Help me out here guys??
    mark

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: "CORRECT" battery for a 60 Bird

The optional heavy duty 27NF is supposed to have yellow caps and the standard 29NF is supposed to have red caps according to the VTCI concours rules.

I bought a 27NF from Antique Auto Battery and it came with red caps. They claim that is correct.

The concours rules also state the battery should have the script in the matching color. I am not sure why the batteries for the price do not come prepainted.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting, Antique auto battery says the VTCI is WRONG... batteries off the line in 1960 for the T-Bird did NOT HAVE any colored letters at all, only the raised black rubber. After marker batteries in stores in 1960 DID have red or yellow letters...
      This one is confusing.

mark

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

It is interesting that the displays for the antique batteries show colored letters, but the ones thet sell are unpainted. Maybe it was like that originally when the batteries were sold. In many applications, when the battery is installed in the car, you cannot see much of the sides of the battery.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Actually that is what they are saying that the batteries were never colored and their ads are to be able to see them better
          mark

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
            Experienced
            • Mar 31 2004

I do not have the parts book info infront of me, but will go into detail later. As far as Antique bat goes, I also recieved the same info from them. They do know that Ford had 3 sizes avail all three years. They have yellow caps avail and will supply when buying the larger size battery. I have yellow caps on my 58.

As far as painted versus not painted, if requested they will paint them any color you want, but need to request when ordering, i assume this goes for the caps.

Fuz
            58's&64's
            Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

ok makes sense. i got the NP27 heavy duty battery, 70 amp and from what i was able to get from Alan Tast it SHOULD have the yellow caps..you agree?
              mark

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
                Experienced
                • Mar 31 2004

I reviewed my parts book and will list the sizes ect for the 58/59 batteries.

amp dimensions color
                58 battery
                55 12.5X 8.90X 5.50 red caps
                65 12.5X 8.03X 5.47 silver caps
                70 11.97X 8.03X 6.78 yellow caps

59 battery
                55 13.0X 8.90X 5.5 red caps
                65 13.0X 8.90X 5.5 silver caps
                70 12.5X 8.90X 6.78 yellow caps

The parts book says painted the same color as the cap. Your choice to paint or not to paint.
                The dimensions while slightly different for these 2 years the 60 follows a similar change year to year. That is why I did not say you have an exact reproduction. You have one that is close and no way one can tell the difference by looking at it. But if you have the larger size then you need yellow caps.

Hope this helps.
                Fuz
                58's&64's
                Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

Yup that is what i found out and they are sending me a set of yellow caps, Thanks again
                  mark

Comment

>It is interesting that the displays for the antique
                    >batteries show colored letters, but the ones thet sell are
                    >unpainted. Maybe it was like that originally when the
                    >batteries were sold. In many applications, when the battery
                    >is installed in the car, you cannot see much of the sides of
                    >the battery.
                    >
                    >Alexander

Kinda makes me wonder about a lot of the VTCI rules ... some things don't make a lot of sense, like batteries coming from the factory with colored lettering. For some reason, I just don't see it.

Comment

• Alexander
                      Webmaster
                      • Oct 30 2002

I know there are many who are trying to revise the judging rules as some of the rules are based on dogma not fact.

There is an NOS Power Punch battery form 1964 on eBay right now. The lettering on the side is definitely not painted.

Alexander
                      1959 Hardtop
                      1960 Golde Top
                      Alexander
                      1959 Hard Top
                      1960 Golde Top
                      sigpic

Comment

RE:

>Interesting, Antique auto battery says the VTCI is WRONG...
                        >batteries off the line in 1960 for the T-Bird did NOT HAVE
                        >any colored letters at all, only the raised black rubber.
                        >After marker batteries in stores in 1960 DID have red or
                        >yellow letters...
                        >This one is confusing.
                        >
                        >mark
                        >

AND --

>I know there are many who are trying to revise the judging
                        >rules as some of the rules are based on dogma not fact.
                        >
                        >There is an NOS Power Punch battery form 1964 on eBay right
                        >now. The lettering on the side is definitely not painted.
                        >
                        >Alexander
                        >1959 Hardtop
                        >1960 Golde Top

See, this I would tend to believe more. I can see aftermarket battery sellers offering them with colored lettering, and I can also see Ford using colored lettering in their adverts ... but that doesn't mean they came from the factory that way.

Comment

RE:

here is what i found out from Alan Task..
                          1. NO lettering on the battery AT ALL ever.
                          2. Red tops on standard battery
                          3. Yellow Tops for the heavy Duty which Antique battery sells
                          you MUST measure the size of your tray to get the right battery, there were 2 sizes of trays i have learned,. i dont have the exact measurments but i was able to get the correct one from them with the correct itops.
                          Hope this helps all@
                          mark
                          :*

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎