X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Possible New Phishing Scam

Last night I received an email supposedly from the company whose anti-virus software I use. It told me that my subscription for their software was about to run out and that I needed to renew my subscription for 1 or 2 years. It gave me more details and a link to click on to go through the renewal process. It looked like a very normal official email from my anti-virus software provider.

Except that my anti-virus software is not provided directly from that company... Like Dave ~ simplyconnected, my anti-virus coverage comes as a result of the ISP I am with, in this case AT&T, as does Dave's as a result of the ISP he is with. It is part of our package and in my case does not have to be renewed. It continues in effect as long as I am with AT&T. I just verified this with AT&T a few minutes ago.

So I called the anti-virus company directly whose software I am using. I read to them the email that I supposedly got from them regarding renewals. Since I do not get my anti-virus software directly from them, they have no account on me. They checked my name, my phone number, address and told me that they have no record of me, which is the way it should be.

Then I read them the two email addresses that were used in sending this email I received, and the return email address I was supposed to use to renew. She told me that neither of these emails addresses are valid for their company....

Soooo, it looks like someone is sending out fake phishing emails trying to get you to renew. They will be asking for your credit card information for a renewal of your anti-virus software. I am sure it would not be renewed since you won't be communicating with the authentic company whose anti-virus software you are using! In the meantime, they will be busy loading up your credit card with bogus purchases....

There are a lot of sharks in the water these days, and I thought I would post this to warn you. Watch out for this, and if you have doubts, pick up the phone and call you anti-virus software company to verify if that was a valid email that THEY sent or not. In my case, it was NOT.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

I think the key here is, YOU called THEM.

That's how I do business... "Give my your number and I'll call you back." No number? Then, I will NEVER call you back (and I don't believe you are legit). It usually ends right there.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• fcar
      Apprentice
      • Nov 13 2010

Thanks for the heads up! It seems that today it's much easier and, unfortunately, acceptable to lie, cheat and/or steal to make a "buck".

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎