X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yellowbird
    Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Power steering fluid

Just changed power steering hoses on my '58. I looked at an older thread concerning power steering fluid. It recommends using Type F transmission fluid.

I wanting to know why newer power steering fluid is not usable in these systems.
    Thanks.
    Leonard
    sigpic
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Yellowbird
    ...I wanting to know why newer power steering fluid is not usable in these systems...
    Len, I wouldn't use any power steering fluid. Who is it approved by (Ford, GM)? They keep improving transmission fluid, and that IS approved by the OEM's. I haven't seen Type-F in awhile, but Dextron III is available everywhere.

I had a discussion with a Hi-Lo mechanic at the plant about that. He said, "If it's red, go ahead and use it."

Now, that is a general statement. Remember, Type-F is not meant to be as much a lubricant as, a means to transfer power. It's hydraulic fluid. The system envronment is not hostile so no detergent, and the owner's manual doesn't mention anything about changing it. There isn't even a filter. If kept clean, it should last.

The only concern is compatability with seal materials. I prefer using tranny fluid because it works the best and is much cheaper than power steering fluid, which can be anything. I use Dextron III (BMW spec's it too).

What CAN you use? I'm sure you could use expensive synthetic, but why? If you are inclined to change your PS fluid, ok. Nothing works better than transmission fluid.

When your fluid turns dark, jack up the front tires, remove the drain line, catch it in a container, and turn the wheels from lock to lock until fluid stops coming out. Reconnect the hose, fill with that wonderful Dextron III transmission fluid, turn the wheels lock to lock again several times to work out air bubbles, then top-off. FWIW, IMHO.

- Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yellowbird
      Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

Dave,
      The fluid I looked at was approved by Ford. However, what does that mean. I'll go with your advice and go with red. I looked on O'Reilly's website and they have a Type F fluid. I'll try to pick it up.
      I appreciate your input!
      Leonard
      sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

A fluid that meets O.E. standard typically has specific application information printed on the label.

A general statement claiming the fluid meets O.E. requirements DOES NOT guarantee good fluid quality.

Currently there are no API (American Petroleum Institute) standards established for power steering fluid which is why there are so many questionable brands out there. The only standards you can trust today come from the O.E.M.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yellowbird
          Experienced

• Jun 18 2009

The one I bought had the following statement: meets performance requirements of ForD ESW-M2C128-C and D. It also listed GM,C hrysler,AMC and Saginaw.
          You are correct that there is not an API number listed. So I'm on my way to look for Type F or Dextron III.
          You also mentioned the removing the drain line to change fluid. Which line do you use as the drain line?
          Thanks.
          Leonard
          sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Dextron 6 is the latest & greatest.
            The Ford manual says Type F ATF.
            Remember, Sq/Birds don't have true Pwr Strg. It's a manual gearbox with hyd pwr asst. Earlier Corvette's had the same syst. They used ATF too.

It's a good system. I've had little or no problems. My dad had the hyd cyl rebuilt probably 25 yrs ago. A cntl valve w/new hoses shortly after that.

I have to admit for a car with more miles than the Space Shuttle, it's relatively bullet proof. It's on it's 3rd engine.
            The only high failure thing I can see is the (stock) transmission. He probably replaced it or rebuilt it 5 or 6 times til he put the large case big boy in there. It's been worked on (massaged) a little but it's been in there 20 years. A C-6 will be next, when this one pukes.

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

My local Autozone has Type F fluid as well. That's what I put back in my 1960 Bird's pwr. steering system....

-Jon
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by tbird430
                My local Autozone has Type F fluid as well. That's what I put back in my 1960 Bird's pwr. steering system...
                Jon, after all those years of using Type-F, have you ever had an issue with it? I never did. Kinda makes me wonder why anyone would buy power steering fluid, or why does it even exist? Some sites push changing it. Well, ok. After a decade of service, I guess a changing mine might be in order. I just never think about it (unless it gets dark). Sometimes, I think folks do more damage by letting dirt in the cap when they open it. That's why many reservoirs are see-through. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

Well, I'm only 37 yrs old & I've owned my '60 since 1991. I haven't had any problems with Type 'F' fluid in these years. I even used it in my Cruise-O-Matic up until I had to have it rebuilt (around 1995). The shop owner told me the newer style clutch material would be fine with regular Mercon-Dextron trans fluid...

-Jon
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 23 2005

Jon:

Correct on using the Dex with new style clutch material. Type F can be used but will give a more solid shift.

With older style clutch material, Dex can give a sluggish shift. Type F is what should be used.

If in doubt as to whether the tranny has been rebuilt, Type F is best because it can go both ways.

We went through this back in 200??? Type F also for PS.

Is KULTULZ around any more?

Ford Transmission Forum link http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730/
                    Last edited by bcomo; September 15, 2009, 11:30 PM.
                    Bart
                    1960 Hard Top/430
                    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Power steering fluid

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the information. I am sure our newer members will appreciate that very much.

As for KULTULZ, no, he has not been around for awhile.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎