This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Experienced

Restifier52 is on a distinguished road
Default Drivetrain HP Losses

Got my car back from the dyno today. I am not going to report the numbers in keeping with the rules of etiquette between soon to be dueling racers (DAKOTA BOY!) but I will disclose that my peak HP on the bottle was 71 HP more than the motor only number (measured at the rear wheels of course). That is with the 100HP jets. I haven't researched it but it seems to me a drivetrain loss of 29HP is pretty good. So it's on with the drag radials and off to Lapeer to learn how to drive this thing.

Rick
Thunderbird Registry #35780
Old 07-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

Umm me too.

Havent been to the track yet either.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Experienced

Sorry about your starter woes. I had a setback too. My extension housing cracked and I had a puddle of tranny fluid on the garage floor. With the guidance and reassurance of my mechanic Roger the fix has been much easier than I feared. Still, I'm out of commission till he can modify the crossmember to accommodate a real trans mount. The guys who engineered the swap made a crossmember with a rubber shim about 3/16 thick. So the motor was able to twist on its mounts more than the trans on its. I should mount a sign in the car like they have at factories-THIS CAR HAS BEEN DRIVEN....DAYS WITHOUT THE OWNER HAVING TO FIX SOME **** THING
Old 07-17-2015, 07:58 AM
Super-Experienced

I have my starter thing fixed now.
I was going to go to the Meltdown Drags at Byron, IL tomorrow but the temp. plus heat index is going to be 105 F.
I was there a few years ago when it was that hot, and it was absolute torture.
I'll stay home in the A/C instead.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Experienced

Default Front End Done

New bushings and ball joints, freshly painted control arms and 1/2" spacers under the coils. I told Roger to cut a coil back when we were first getting the car running and driving. I thought it needed it to get the stance right. I put the street rims back on (225/60R16) and it looks good with the 1" lowering block in back. Got it aligned and it feels pretty good. I can't do anything about the slop in the steering box. I will upgrade to rack and pinion I just don't know when. There is still something sounding like it's loading and unloading under the car though. Now it sounds like the right rear. There's not a whole lot under there. Leaf, axle, shock. And in my case, CalTrac. Something's loose. I don't feel like squirming around on the garage floor again so soon, but I'll check it out. Man it's always something. These mild days have been a real blessing. I even got some yard work done!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Super-Experienced

Some of my "race car" buddies (one even has a car that runs 4.5's in the 1/8th on 275 drag radials) have told me to get rid of those rubber pads that sandwich the leaf springs (where the springs are bolted to the axle). I know the feeling you are perhaps talking about, but it could also be the Detroit Locker in the rear end that is causing this.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Experienced

Default Easy Fix

I tightened the u bolt nuts and the noise went away. It was very nice of them not to come completely off at 100+mph. Of course I (imagined that I) felt the improvement in handling as well. I realized I hadn't checked those nuts since I put the axle back together after getting the new innards. So once again everything is as hunky dory as it can get. I wonder what the next issue will be.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Experienced

Default Woo Hoo

Ladies and Gentlemen I am pleased to announce that Big Red (a nickname for my car that I literally just now thought of) has broken the 12 second mark. Last year my best was 12.157. Between then and now I put 90/10 drag shocks on the front and removed the swaybar. I went to Milan last Wednesday looking for an 11.99 and ran 11.929 at 116.18mph on my second pass. That was before I remembered that I wanted to let some air out of the drag radials. I had 20 lbs. in them for driving to the track. I let out 5 pounds and even with a bit of wheel hop got a better 60ft. time (1.793) but not a better et or speed. A problem with the nitrous not coming on when it was supposed to prevented me from making any better runs but I was happy I got that 11. I hope to get one more shot at Lapeer. Still haven't gotten anyone to accompany me so no video. Maybe I'll get some video at Lapeer. I'll tighten the Cal Tracs and see about maybe getting some 11.8s.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:09 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Rick's 1960 HT

Congratulations, Rick! That is quite the accomplishment! Hopefully, the next time there will be someone who can shoot some video!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Super-Experienced

Dude that is an awesome time you have there-

I just added a 1/2 inch fuel line a few weeks ago, and finally the carb isn't running empty on me anymore. Should've done this a long time ago!