• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mh434
    Comfortably numb
    • Jan 10 2017

Transmission cooler

Morning all
    Anyone seen a transmission cooler setup like this before ?
    Fluid flows to the ally box in the top right of the first photo and then from that into the toilet brush arrangement that sits infront of the radiator, then back to the transmission. (flow might be the other way round). Close up of the first bit shows it is manufactured by Airesearch. Unfortunately the part numbers are not readable as someone has rather crudely engraved "FOR ENG USE ONLY" and the part number on it. The car was originally from Arizona so could this be an attempt at improving the transmission cooling ?

Jon
    Attached Files
    Jon
    Deepest Hertfordshire
    Old enough to know I'm right...
    1960 Hardtop T'bird
    1961 Hotchkiss M201
  • Derbird
    • Jul 10 2016

I have seen similar, but not that brand. I would guess that is an engineering prototype based on the engraving. Due to the condition of the fins on the front cooler I would probably put it on a shelf and find a new one.

Comment

• Frango100
      Experienced
      • May 2 2016

The Airesearch heat exchanger seems to be an aviation part. A pitty that the P/N can´t be read anymore.
      The cooling tubes with the fins up front should cool down the fluid quite well, at least as long as there was an airflow passing around it. When standing still there would be very little cooling, but there would also not be a lot of heating of the fluid.
      sigpicFrank
      1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
      Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

I only use a trans cooler when absolutely necessary, like if you change from a stick to an automatic or if you use a radical stall converter that is designed to slip at low-med rpms. Otherwise, the radiator successfully performs these functions:
        • It heats transmission fluid in cold weather,
        • It keeps trans fluid temp consistent as engine coolant is regulated by the thermostat.
        • It also keeps the trans fluid level low in the system.
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mh434
          Comfortably numb
          • Jan 10 2017

Dave
          That's a very good point you make about the trans fluid getting warmed by the radiator. Maybe in Arizona the external transmission cooler was required, but here in the UK presumably the trans fluid is never going to get to working temperature. The radiator looks to be in good condition, maybe I will look at reconnecting the transmission lines to it when it comes to the rebuild.
          Jon
          Jon
          Deepest Hertfordshire
          Old enough to know I'm right...
          1960 Hardtop T'bird
          1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Jon, I live in Michigan where our winter temps commonly fall well below freezing (like right now). This doesn't affect our classic cars because they are put to bed for the season but our daily drivers, which these cars formerly were, get very sluggish. Robin always starts her car and lets it run for ten minutes before climbing in for work.

Our bitter cold diminishes battery power, oil gets thick, engines start slower and automatic transmissions don't shift quite right. The cooling system works both ways, to help heat and to cool both the engine and automatic trans.

As a side note, I investigated our Motorcraft oil filters and how they operate. The bypass valve opens at ten PSI. That means, when oil is cold and viscous, the filter simply opens to allow all oil to bypass. For this reason, I change the oil at 3,000 miles because that is the real filtration.

When Ford cars left the factory they were designed to operate in all weather conditions across the USA. I don't recall an option for a transmission cooler. Some cars had a 'trailer package' which included a larger battery and radiator but I don't recall ever seeing a separate transmission cooler. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• scumdog
              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

I run a mechanical temp gauge in my F100, the sender is screwed into a fitting on the side of the C6 pan.

I also run two coolers, the reason for that is because I screwed up the mounting position of the original cooler and it ended up not being sufficiently in the air stream.
              And it was easier to fit the 2nd cooler than remove the first one and refit it.

The second cooler is on front of the radiator and is about 13" X 7"

The first one is larger.

Even with this set-up you should see the temp of the trans-fluid after a long uphill with overtaking slower vehicles..

And even in summer NZ rarely gets to 100F.

Google a chart that shows trans fluid temperature vs trans fluid 'life expectancy'.
              Food for thought.
              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

Hew Scumdog, what temps are you seeing on your gauge?

I also have a C6; a 2800-3000 stall converter, and a trans cooler in front of the radiator that is about the same size as yours.

I do not have a trans temp gauge. My trans fluid does not enter the radiator like the OEM setup.

thanks
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• pbf777
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 9 2016

Keep in mind that the sum of fluid being pumped thru the cooler circuit is only a portion of the total fluid volume in use, and therefore it is possible to tax this cooling capacity, no matter how large or how many heat exchangers may be employed (within the original fluid circuit).

For severe applications, the only recourse is to implement a completely unique system from that provided by the O.E.M.; consisting of pump, feed lines, heat exchanger, thermostatic controls, etc., accessing and returning directly to the sump volume.

Also, just to clarify, the bypass valve within the engines' oil filter (if equipped), opens based on a pressure differential value between the unfiltered vs. filtered sides of the filter element, not P.S.I. as displayed on your vehicles' gauge.

Scott.

Comment

• JohnG
                    John
                    • Jul 28 2003

Also, just to clarify, the bypass valve within the engines' oil filter (if equipped), opens based on a pressure differential value between the unfiltered vs. filtered sides of the filter element, not P.S.I. as displayed on your vehicles' gauge.

Scott, thank you. Been wondering about that . . .

john
                    1958 Hardtop
                    #8452 TBird Registry
                    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                    history:
                    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎