X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuusamon
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

60 convertible engine mounts and position

the engine was mounted in the car with 'home made' mounts.
    I am not sure if the engne is in the correct position and the height/angle.
    Does anybody have the measurements of the original engine mounts? also the rear support is missing, the bracket was also home made. (on the picture with a piece of wood under the gearbox just before I removed the gearbox).

what would be the measurements of the rear bracket support? and the rubber size between the gearbox and the bracket?
    Attached Files
    sigpicGreets,
    Ronald
    Kuusamo
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Hey Kuusamo,
    Here are some pictures of motor mounts! Let me know if that helps or not!
    Richard D. Hord
    Attached Files

Comment

• kuusamon
      Experienced
      • Feb 14 2009

Hi Richard,

super thanks for your quick reply,
      yea I might better order the original mounts, maybe use the ones I have now to fabricate a support for the rear bracket since the rear bracket is not original and flat instead of curved.
      reason I also included a pic of the front of the engine is because I am not sure if the engine is to far forward of backward. Since I can't mount or remove the starter without loosening the engine from its mounts and raising it.
      sigpicGreets,
      Ronald
      Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
        Experienced
        • Feb 14 2009

What is the difference between several types of motor mounts?
        I have seen them by 'Larry's' for about 62 dollars a piece and by the birs nst for about 20 dollars, they look different but whats the difference?

also a pair of old used ones on ebay for about $15
        regards
        sigpicGreets,
        Ronald
        Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
          Experienced
          • Feb 14 2009

first pic the ebay ones
          2nd larry's, and 3rd the birdsnest one
          Attached Files
          sigpicGreets,
          Ronald
          Kuusamo

Comment

• kuusamon
            Experienced
            • Feb 14 2009

Here my old thread about motor mounts.
            The engine is restored and in the car, I started connecting things.
            I am still wondering about the position of the engine. I have new and original engine mounts that are in place of the old homemade rubbers that was installed by the previous owner, see in the pictures in this thread.
            However I am still not happy about the position of this engine. Maybe after putting on the bell housing, Torque converter and gearbox the engine will still tilt backwards but between the oilpan and the brace under the engine only space is less than an inch.
            My crank pulley/harmonizer is rusting on the front brace/bracket as you can see in the old picture with the old mounts. Not much has changed.

The previous owner has made 'slots' to where the engine mounts mount in the frame.
            In the pictures from Richard here I see there are no slots just a single hole where the mount sits.
            I understand why the previous owner has made slots because for while he had a non original engine in and probably had to change something there.
            It does not look like he had moved the brackets in the frame but only he mad slots from the hole so he could easier hoist the engine in with the engine mounts already attached to the engine.

My question is that I got to see if the slots he made are not lower/deeper than they should be so that the engine sits to low.
            Can anybody take a picture again of the engine mount in the bracket and maybe measure how far the hole sits from the bottom or top of that bracket?
            And a picture of the front of the engine in relation of that front brace to see where their crank pulley/harmonizer is located.
            So I can see if my engine needs to go backward more and/or has to go more up.

thanks, regards,
            Ron
            sigpicGreets,
            Ronald
            Kuusamo

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The holes for the motor mounts are supposed to be slightly oblong. The motor can only go down so far regardless of the size of the hole. You really should have the bell housing and transmission bolted on as that will change the angle. You are also putting a lot of stress on the mounts and frame without a third point of contact.
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• REM
                Apprentice
                • Mar 28 2011

The motor mount is just a bit ( maybe 1/16") above flush with the bracket it rests on.
                Here are a couple pics.
                If the motor mounts are right the motor should be positioned properly fore and aft.
                Your bottom pulley is different that mine so they won't be the same distance from the cross piece at the front.

The bottom pic is the left motor mount looking from the top.

Last edited by REM; July 27, 2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Took this pic about 10 years ago when I was doing my disc conversion. Sorry didn't take measurements or a pic on the drivers side but hope it will give you an idea of the motor position and what the original mount looks like (and what 40 years of grease and oil look like ).

Eric
                  registry 5347

Comment

• kuusamon
                    Experienced
                    • Feb 14 2009

Thank you for all your information and pics, I can work with that. The crank pulley has 3 pulleys probably the extra one is for an A/C but I do not have an A/C. Yes the engine is then tilted forwar and leaning on the pulley. When I put the gearbox on and bell housing etc. it will probably tilt backwards, I see in the picture from Eric that the oil pan is almost touching the cross beam.

regards and thanks everybody
                    Ron
                    sigpicGreets,
                    Ronald
                    Kuusamo

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Good picture, Eric.
                      You can see there is 'wiggle room' for the rubber engine mounts, so the oil pan isn't too tight against the frame.

I like the view of the starter motor and generator. Eric's picture confirms Ron's comment about removing the starter.

Let's attack this from the other end...
                      How well does your driveshaft length fit?

These engines are tilted slightly down at the rear, and your rear axle should have the same angle, tilted UP when the car is at rest! This balances the universal joint angles.

The trans mount is important, but mostly from side-to-side. A 'home-made' trans mount can work just fine if it is securely bolted to the body. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎