X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tuxedo
    Apprentice
    • Jul 9 2008

'60 Master Cylinder Kit

I noticed that there are 2 rebuild kits available for a '60 with power steering. How do I find out which one is the right one for a '60 with power steering and no AC?
  • GTE427
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 9 2007

I can't answer your question directly regarding PS, no AC.
    However, there are two Master Cylinders (MC) found on the Squarebirds today, with either a 1" bore or a 1 1/8" bore. Look at the side of your MC and the size will be cast into the MC. This is the only difference I know of for our MC's, and the kits should be sold accordingly. The 60 should have a 1" bore, and these are the more common, check the casting for size before ordering as you just never know after 49 years.
    Last edited by GTE427; June 8, 2009, 10:41 AM.
    Ken
    1959 J Convertible
    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

If I understand this right, the 1 1/8" is for power brakes. That´s what my Shop Manual says anyway.
      The problem is that when I ordered the rebuild kit for my ´58, with power brakes, It didn´t fit, as the 1" was installed in the car. I have no idea if this is done at the factory or sometime after. So I cleaned everything and put it together again ( lot of stuff to clean in there...), it worked pretty good as a matter of fact.
      So now I have a new 1 1/8" rebuild kit in the spares....
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Tuxedo
        Apprentice
        • Jul 9 2008

Ok, so based on the writing on the passenger side of the master cylinder "1 DIA", I have the 1" diameter version. I'm going to remove it tonight hopefully and see what it looks like on the inside and go from there.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Tuxedo
          Apprentice
          • Jul 9 2008

Got the rebuild kit from AutoZone and had pops put it back together with a quick hone. I pulled the driver side wheel cylinder off and white powder poured out... very dry and probably aren't usuable so that will be the next purchase. I was going to try and get away with the wheel cylinder kits to avoid the expense of new cylinders, but oh well.

I do have a question for you all though, my car is supposedly low mileage (about 50k) and I was wondering if there would be any oem markings on the front pads that may suggest them as original. Anybody know if there is a way to tell if these might be the original pads?

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

how much are stores charging you guys for rebuild kits??I went to rebuild mine a few years ago and no kit was available locally but they did have an entire MC. I'd have to look for the slip but I think I paid about $45. The original one looked pretty raunchy inside and it was not clear there was no pitting of the body so a new one seemed like a good idea at the time. I know there are shops that will re-sleeve the bore if moisture has attacked it.Given the choice, I would opt for the 1 1/8 version as it would provide a bit more braking power. I could see taking a 1 inch bore MC and having it machined out - both to clean it up and also to accept the larger piston. These things are certainly not over-endowed with braking!! John
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Just get new wheel cylinders. By the time your done monkeying around with the old ones they might leak anyway andIthink they'er aroud$20 bucks.The brake shoes might have a ford stamp on them. But at 50000 that's prob. the 4th set of brakes on there

Comment

• Penelope
                Super-Experienced
                • Mar 4 2008

I agree, get the new wheel cylinders, rears are either $20 for the RHS or $22 for the LHS from Larrys, but they are standard 7/8".
                sigpicBill
                Thunderbird Registry 21903 & 33405

Comment

• Tuxedo
                  Apprentice
                  • Jul 9 2008

I paid $40 for the master cylinder kit including shipping. Admittedly, that was more than what Larry's and Mac's charge I believe... but that is another story.

As far as the wheel cylinders go, Mac's has $41 for the right and $32 for the left front... $27 each for the rear.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I have learned to never assume, especially when wrenching. I use all my senses now, and I test everything.

I had a '64 Tempest that was due for a brake change. Three original shoes were worn, the RH rear brake was like new. So, a gas station mechanic changed all the shoes.

Upon checking, I noticed that RH rear brake could spin, even with the pedal depressed (e-brake worked ok). Took it apart, pulled the wheel cylinder, and I found:
                    The oem (Wagner, if I remember right) didn't drill the hydraulic hole through the wheel cylinder. No brake fluid was going inside at all!

Here's the lesson learned: Even when you buy new cylinders, don't assume they are perfect. I ALWAYS take mine apart and check inside. It takes one minute.

Another help: Pull your bleeder valves out, wrap teflon tape around the threads, and use those little rubber dust caps. In 24,000 miles, when you change brake fluid, your bleeder valves will unscrew just fine.

New or rebuilt M/C? Learn the simple task of 'bench bleeding'. It pays off big.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎