X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Thanks Dave,

That service bulletin is what I looked at when making my bracket. I think the height of the booster brackets vs the firewall mount is very little - the pedal rod does look a bit taller than the original in the picture and the angle on the bottom of the booster bracket does make it look higher but like you say it is just a picture. After a bunch of measurements I didn't see any need to raise the unit any higher except for possibly heat issues off the manifold. If that becomes an issue I'll just add a heat shield. Looking at the top of the booster bracket it looks pretty even - maybe an inch? higher where the booster would mount.

Didn't want to change a bunch of things at once so figured if I moved the booster out 1 3/4 the only other change to be made would be to lengthen the pedal rod 1 3/4.

Fits perfectly.........almost 1 1/2 clearance to the valve cover because of the shape of the original booster. I'm sure this would never work with the larger and longer replacement style dual action booster.

Just held on with a few bolts at the moment to verify clearance. Will be adding the evap. box pretty soon and will need to take it back off to make that install easier. It is closer there - only 1/2 inch clearance from the back of the booster to the evap box.

I think I see what you are saying but that bracket you show riveted to the back of the booster is standard on all the external firewall mounted boosters.

Eric
    registry 5347
    Last edited by DKheld; June 27, 2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by DKheld
      I think I see what you are saying but that bracket you show riveted to the back of the booster is standard on all the external firewall mounted boosters.
      Eric, you're so right. I wasn't thinking this spacer is just that, a spacer...

Sometimes you gotta kick me. I saw the moving hardware in the service bulletin, and it stuck in my mind that it attached inside the spacer. Duh...

Thanks for showing the picture. It re-adjusted my thinking. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Need Bendix booster brackets

I just talked with John Draxler of the Thunderbird Ranch. John says that he has a bunch of single stage boosters attached to the mounting bracket in his parts bins. Whether they have the bracket on them made for '60 Tbirds with AC he does not know. But he is going to do some checking, using a Squarebird with AC that he has and see. I gather that Tbird has the under the hood single booster bradded to the bracket. He will take some measurements of that bracket and compare it to the ones he has in stock to see if any of those are the AC version bracket. More than likely, that bracket for AC equipped Tbirds will not work for those who what to put on the dual MC/dual booster set up. But we will find out. The newer dual power boosters might be wider the the old single booster and not clear that AC plenum on that bracket.

He also told me that he recently acquired a trailer full of Tbird parts and has a ton of Squarebird parts in particular, and parts for 61-66's also. He also said that he has a 352ci '60 Black on white Golde Top that is in pretty good condition and would make a great car to fix up and restore. If interested, contact him, and do keep in mind that he might very well have the Squarebird parts you are looking for.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Naaa - couldn't do it Dave - I've been looking at that picture for a month now figuring out my spacer and never noticed the pedal rod does look a bit taller than the original until you pointed that out - was always just thinking the bracket was just a spacer and no lift but bet it does have a little more than I first thought. Helps to get a second opinion and there are quite a few knowledgeable folks like yourself here to ask - it's great.

Ray - I sure hope John runs across a dealer bracket - be nice to know it actually exists but would be even better to find one with the pedal rod attached to see if it was just lengthened and/or taller. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the parts.

I'll post more pics as the A/C work progresses.

Eric
          registry 5347

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by YellowRose
            ...John says that he has a bunch of single stage boosters attached to the mounting bracket in his parts bins...
            Useful for folks with drum brakes, but grossly inadequate for front disk brakes.
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Unfortunately, the same thing might be said for the spacer bracket C0SS-2A248-A in the '60 Power Brake Spacer Kit C0SZ-2A251-A. That bracket spacer kit was made by Ford to allow '60 Tbirds (probably '58's & '59's also) with airconditioning to mount their single stage booster to the firewall and clear the AC plenum, a problem they did not have with non-A/C Tbirds. It works on the '60 Tbird with the single stage booster. That single stage booster, riveted to the bracket, apparently, is smaller than the present 7" or 8" dual power boosters in width. It is doubtful if the spacer bracket in this kit would extend the booster out far enough to allow the modern day booster to clear the plenun.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• tbirdranch
                • Jun 28 2011

need booster brackets

I just came from the shed with a booster that has the extended arm installed and upstairs I had the bracket that mounts to the firewall that spaces the booster out. These are the factory ford parts. The spacer does raise the booster up about 3/4" along with moving it forward 1 7/8".
                I just installed a small dual diaphram unit on my '65 blackbird with a highly modified bracket from that year however I am looking into the possibility of making a bracket for this small booster to mount onto a squarebird and I will figure on doing this with the extended length needed for a car with the a/c box in place.

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I Just had a phone conversation with John. He has measured one of the original OEM single stage boosters that were used on the '60 Tbird. It measures 8" across, including that flange around it! That is the same diameter size as the MBM dual power MBM booster that Howard and I have! We had a good discussion about brackets and boosters that I won't go into now.

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to look over a '60 Squarebird with factory AC and the OEM under the hood master cylinder/booster combination. I took a number of pictures of the setup. This setup up, which I take to be factory, clears the AC plenum by 1 to 2". I did not measure it but should have. However, eyeballing it showed that there was plenty of space between the mounting bracket, the spacer, the booster and the plenum box. I probably have been laboring under a misconception of how Ford got the mc/booster combination away from the AC plenum. I thought they used a different, wider mounting bracket to push it further out. It appears they used the same one the used on '60's that did not have AC, but used a spacer, C0SS-2A248-A, as shown in the parts break out picture in the post below, to get the clearance they needed. The spacer on this Tbird looks just like the one on that parts display form below. From what I understand, the C0SZ-2A251-A adapter kit shown in a post below, did come with a longer hockey stick though to make it work. If there is an end plate and boot behind that spacer, you cannot see it, but there probably was. The bottom tips of the mounting bracket bradded to the booster come to a point and appear to be pinched in like Howards, to make sure it clears the steering shaft and anything else close to it. I also noticed that the hockey stick going into the spacer was wrapped with some kind of material, I gather to protect it. Here are the pix I took.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by YellowRose; July 1, 2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Astrowing
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 22 2009

So the next question is do any of these parts exist from 60's parts cars that we could get? They built like 70,000 60's cars and I would assume a whole bunch of them had AC by that time. Would the 4-bolt bracket be adaptable to the MBM booster?
                      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• kuusamon
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 14 2009

very interesting to see those pics Ray, with the spacer. The original bracket is only connected with 4 bolts while the added spacer has a fifth, the top bolt. My car doesn't have A/C, never has, but still has also the fifth top bolt there on the firewall, was always wondering what for it was but now I can see.
                        Last edited by kuusamon; July 1, 2011, 11:23 AM.
                        sigpicGreets,
                        Ronald
                        Kuusamo
                        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

These OEM single style boosters with the mounting bracket bradded to them are still around. John Draxler, of Thunderbird Ranch, for one, has a number of them. To answer the question as to whether or not the bracket on the OEM single stage booster will work directly on our modern day MBM dual power boosters, the answer is no. Not without doing some modification to the bracket. However, it is my understanding that they can be made to work. Here is what Gary ~ 1946hamm, had to say in email to me this morning.

"The Ford underhood booster bracket can be used on the MBM boosters but the bracket has to be modified by widening the top to fit over the snout on the MBM booster and drilling the mounting holes a little larger to accept the slightly larger bolt pattern. I drilled out the rivits on my ford booster and used the bracket on the MBM booster I installed so I got by using the same hockey stick.

If I were going to do a setup again I would use the standard ford underhood brackets and hockey stick and make a extension bracket for the top end near the booster to space it out. since the MBM booster uses an adjustable rod for actuation it would be simple to space the top out and not bother the ford brackets or hockey stick. Doing the modifications from the top by extending the actuation rod and spacer would not disturb the mechanical ratio of the hockey stick from what Ford intended and also the extension bracket or adapter could be made to fit the MBM booster on one end and Ford bracket on the other. The adjustable clevis on the MBM booster might be long enough that it may not need to be added to."

So there you have Gary's comments on another way to go about this.

Comment

• tbird430
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 18 2007

Originally posted by Astrowing
                            So the next question is do any of these parts exist from 60's parts cars that we could get? They built like 70,000 60's cars and I would assume a whole bunch of them had AC by that time. Would the 4-bolt bracket be adaptable to the MBM booster?
                            All of the 1960 Birds manufactured did NOT come with this underhood power brake booster...

-Jon in TX.
                            sigpic
                            The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• kuusamon
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 14 2009

Originally posted by tbird430
                              All of the 1960 Birds manufactured did NOT come with this underhood power brake booster...

-Jon in TX.
                              Really, I did not know that, in my 1960 shop manual it shows 3 types of brake systems. those without any booster, those with the underhood booster and the ones with A/C, according the shopmanual, had some kind of booster/powerassist just mounted inside the cabin behind the brake pedal.(the underdash booster)
                              Last edited by kuusamon; July 1, 2011, 12:36 PM.
                              sigpicGreets,
                              Ronald
                              Kuusamo
                              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I am looking at the VTCI OFS to see it it states when the change from the KH under dash booster to the under the hood single mc/booster took place. All it says is that both the 352 and 430 engines used the KH under dash bellows type in the early stages of production in the 1960 Tbird with AC. In late production they switched to the Bendix under the hood system, but it does not say when in production that happened. An interesting thing is it also shows is that 1960 352 non-AC equipped cars used the Bendix booster, not the bellows booster, throughout production. It does not say which booster set up was used for the 430 non-AC equipped cars.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎