No announcement yet.

RADIATOR CAP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

RADIATOR CAP

What size pressure cap shopuld I be using with a car that has a high temp problem? I have a recored radiator now and want to optumize my system. In the venders book I say a 7pound cap and a 12pound cap, I have been using a 13 pound cap whats best?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: RADIATOR CAP

The higher the pressure on the cap, the higher the boiling point of the coolant. Therefore a higer pressure cap means you have less chance of boiling over. Only use a 7 lb cap if you have a lot of leaks in your radiator and expansion tank. If you do, you should get them fixed. The 13 lb cap you now have is fine. I would not go more than 15 lb on a radiator cap on these cars.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

RE: RADIATOR CAP

Thanks Alexander, I have been using a 13 pound cap and yes it exposed all the leaks I have had in the system, tomorrow I will be picking up my radiator(recre ) and expansion tank(repaired ) and I hope everything is in working order, I want my temp gage to read between the T and the E I was in North Carolinia with 3 T-Birds last week end and these cars ran very cool, needle on the E all the time. I noticed that they had overflow tanks on them attached to the fire wall does that make a diffrence?

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎