X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whpaul
    Experienced
    • Oct 17 2009

A new Stereo in an old car??

Hallo please tell me what do You think or have done.

My restoration goes on and at the next step I go to the interior.

I am interested to have get a better sound with modern features as I pod ect. I have the original AM-Radio in, still working.
    I would like to leave it at the position and have a different hidden not visible mounted. Normally the glove compartment is useful, but this car has none.

Any experiences or ideas????

whpaul
    W.H.Paul
    with a friendly hello from good old Europe.

Originally posted by whpaul
    I am interested to have get a better sound with modern features as I pod ect. I have the original AM-Radio in, still working. Any experiences or ideas????
    whpaul
    Yes indeed, the ipod, what a concept! Just yesterday I was able to use an ipod shuffle for the very first time and was allowed to borrow it for a drive in my Astrovan. An adaptor plugged into the cigarette lighter and into the ipod. The adaptor indicated a vacant FM frequency to tune my radio to and presto, had ipod music in my van. I was pretty impressed. First thing I thought of was my '58 Bird and how nice it would be for the bird. But alas, the 58 has only just the AM radio. Of course the 58 has only just the one crappy center speaker in it, so maybe I will give up on ipodding the bird.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Send your radio to Gary Tayman in Florida. Gary guts your radio and installs a radio inside your radio, so to speak. All your buttons and knobs function to produce AM, FM, MP3 (input jacks), or whatever you want to plug in. He did two radios for me. One for my '55 Customline and the other for my '59 Galaxie. The Galaxie has a 'wonder-bar' (it seeks stations automatically) which Ford calls, 'Town and Country'.

The only requirement is, your car needs to be 12-volt.

* Your radio will look exactly stock, including the dial and knobs.
      * No more waiting for tubes to heat
      * Uses far less power than vacuum tubes (valves, in Europe)
      * Full 4-channel Stereo AM/FM/MP3 input jacks
      * Full Balance Control; Front-to-Rear & Left-to-Right
      * All new cables with fuse and a new plug is included
      * Can be used as 2-channel Stereo or single-speaker Mono (but I can't imagine why anyone would want to).
      * Includes a power antenna output for modern antennas. The new antennas have a 'sense' relay. When they sense radio power is on, they hoist. When the radio signal is dead, they lower.

Gary sells antennas, speakers, and just about anything you might need.

Both of my radios output 4-channel stereo, each with plenty of watts for a convertible. This is a vast improvement. If I play my iPod, the radio automatically senses. It cuts out the radio and plays the iPod. Two RCA jacks in the rear accept any input, including a CD player (boombox).

Gary also owns a very cool classic Thunderbird.

Check out his site:
      taymanelectrical.com

- Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• whpaul
        Experienced
        • Oct 17 2009

Interesting!

Hallo,

Thank You for this interesting informations.
        I did not know that fine solutions. Now I have more potentialities than budget!

whpaul
        W.H.Paul
        with a friendly hello from good old Europe.

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by simplyconnected
          Send your radio to Gary Tayman in Florida. Gary guts your radio and installs a radio inside your radio, so to speak. All your buttons and knobs function to produce AM, FM, MP3 (input jacks), or whatever you want to plug in. He did two radios for me. One for my '55 Customline and the other for my '59 Galaxie. The Galaxie has a 'wonder-bar' (it seeks stations automatically) which Ford calls, 'Town and Country'.

The only requirement is, your car needs to be 12-volt.

* Your radio will look exactly stock, including the dial and knobs.
          * No more waiting for tubes to heat
          * Uses far less power than vacuum tubes (valves, in Europe)
          * Full 4-channel Stereo AM/FM/MP3 input jacks
          * Full Balance Control; Front-to-Rear & Left-to-Right
          * All new cables with fuse and a new plug is included
          * Can be used as 2-channel Stereo or single-speaker Mono (but I can't imagine why anyone would want to).
          * Includes a power antenna output for modern antennas. The new antennas have a 'sense' relay. When they sense radio power is on, they hoist. When the radio signal is dead, they lower.

Gary sells antennas, speakers, and just about anything you might need.

Both of my radios output 4-channel stereo, each with plenty of watts for a convertible. This is a vast improvement. If I play my iPod, the radio automatically senses. It cuts out the radio and plays the iPod. Two RCA jacks in the rear accept any input, including a CD player (boombox).

Gary also owns a very cool classic Thunderbird.

Check out his site:
          taymanelectrical.com

- Dave
          So how much does this cost? Will he build one that supports three low level pre-outs?

Comment

• RustyNCa
            Super-Experienced
            • May 31 2007

The approach I was going to use on the 65 was to mount a new style deck in the trunk and run a remote control unit designed to work in a boat along with an ipod hookup. I don't know what the center console is like in the bullet bird, but I was going to mount the remote in an extra ash tray part I bought off ebay. Then we were going to build the sub box, amp mounts etc and cover them all with material from a second trunk kit to make it all match in the back.

Inside the car we were going to fab up replacement kick panels and match the colors etc. to make them as un obtrusive as possible.

And in the process keep all the factory am radio and speakers all stock in their factory locations.

That was the plan, so far money has kept such a plan from happening...

Shopping for Marine Remotes, Cables & Mics? Our Virginia-based experts love helping folks find the right gear. Get FREE 2-day shipping and free lifetime tech support with your order.

Comment

• novanutcase
              • Dec 15 2009

WHPAUL,

My plan is to use my smartphone as a player. Basically, I would have an hidden(or not) jack that connects to my smartphone and an amplifier. From there the speakers can be connected and voila, you have music! I can also have turn by turn navigation since my smartphone has that capacity. If I want to listen to Am/Fm radio I can stream it through the phone since I also have internet access through it.

John

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎