X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

Speedometer Dial Wobble

I have a speedometer dial wobble up to 30 MPH and then it is smooth. I think that I need to lube the cable with speedometer cable lube.

My question is -- Since this might be messy, can I remove the cable from the bottom; then lube it and replace it?

Is there a problem with doing it that way, or should it be lubed from the top?
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

You are right, the wobble is probably due to the speedometer cable binding and releasing. It is not a very messy job or long job. The easiest way to do it is to remove the speedometer, pull out the cable, lube it, and then reinsert it.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Alexander:

I have the speedo cable out from the top.

The lube that they gave me at auto Zone is a DRY Graphite lube. Is this the right stuff to use ????

I realize that if you use grease, that it might work it's way up the cable and get into the speedo housing. But plain dry graphite doesn't sound right -- What do you think??

I'll wait untill I do anything else.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• LuckyJay
        • Jan 4 2007

The wobble you talk about can also be caused by a small iron filing stuck to the magnet inside the speedo itself.

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Graphite is the right lubricant, just make sure ur cable is cleaned off good 1st, someone else might have grease it before.
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

I'll check the magnet.

tbird430 -- DRY Graphite??? That's what they said to use.
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• danowens3
              Experienced
              • Dec 29 2005

I used dry graphite on my speedo cable and it really helped, a little bit went a long way and now I have a majority of the tube left for door hinges and the hinges on kitchen cabinets.... Dan 60 Hardtop

Comment

• bcomo
                Super-Experienced
                • Sep 23 2005

OK. I lubed the cable with a good amount of Dry Graphite.

When I inserted the cable back through the sheath, I felt a real tough bend in the sheath about 10 inches away from the transmission driven gear.

Once I got the cable in past that bend, it seemed OK. That bend may be causing the wobble, so I might have to see if I can give it an easier bend from the bottom.

If that doesn't work, maybe it's the speedo head itself. I'd need to find one in good condition to know for sure. Then again, a used speedo head may be bad too.
                Bart
                1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                  Experienced
                  • Apr 9 2006

Bart:
                  I found that when I replaced my cable it had a sharp bend in it also. I had to replace mine. the cable it's self was damaged from the kink.

Heads up if you ever have to replace it. I got mine on Amazon for about $15.00 plus shipping.
                  George (Papa of 9)
                  1960 H/T :rolleyes:
                  Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
                  sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 23 2005

George:

Did you replace the cable and the sheath both? Replacing the sheath would be a real bummer.

I cleaned the cable with brake cleaner before I lubed it. It hung straight down with no kinks, and there were no wear marks or frays in the cable at all. I think that the cable itself is OK.

Just in case -- How did you look up the cable on Amazon? I couldn't find one listed for a Thunderbird.
                    Bart
                    1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                      Experienced
                      • Apr 9 2006

Foot in Mouth

Actually Bart I put my foot in my mouth when I said that I got it threw Amazon.

I searched the past posts because I knew that it was out there and found this.

"A Pioneer Prods. Speedometer Cable CA3015. all locals wanted $16.00 +. Mail order threw Kragen wanted $10.99 + 6.50 to ship."

it comes complete cable and sheath. minus the gear at the tranny that you reuse.

if you ever look for one on the INTERNET use the CA3015 number thats the part number for the hole unit.

As for running the cable it was not to bad (just had to replace the grommet in the drivers side tranny hump where the cable goes threw. but other then that it was nice and simple

Looking at the last posting and remembering putting it in there is a sharp bend just be for the cable goes in to the tranny.
                      George (Papa of 9)
                      sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 23 2005

George:

Thanks for taking the time to research that. I did a search on Kragen and Advance Auto and found it on both sites using that number.

I'm going to take a look at that last bend from below as soon as the weather gets below 90 here. Can't believe it's still this hot in October.
                        Bart
                        1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 9 2006

Weather bad

I know what you mean when you talk about the weather. Out here it's in the 90's one day and when you get up the next day to go to work it's 43 and raining and then hot and muggy on the drive home. but I guess it's that time of year

I put mine up on blocks to do My power steering rebuild everything pump, control valve and power cylinder. and it rained for 2 days. over the weekend. so I could not do anything. and it sat for a week before I could do anything with it.

I was trying to get it done for our 26th wedding anniversary that was on September 30th But no the weather did not cooperate . I guess we are not to be driving it on our anniversary, last year did the same thing tried to get it ready, worked on it for 2 days straight. went out to take it to dinner and it would not start .

Well theres always number 27
                          George (Papa of 9)
                          sigpic

Comment

• bcomo
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 23 2005

Yep -- there's always number 27. You'll have done much more to it by then.

I have to replace the lines that go from the control valve to the ram cylinder. Someone used rubber lines and they are so long that I have to use cable ties so they don't drag. They also leak at the fittings.

I bought a set of the original steel lines, and hope that they fit.

The speedo wobble is down to a small wobble up to 20 MPH and then is steady. I don't even look at the speedo untill after 20 MPH anyway, so I might just leave it alone if the tight turn at the bottom isn't causing it.
                            Last edited by bcomo; October 3, 2007, 12:20 PM.
                            Bart
                            1960 Hard Top/430

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎