X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coral
    Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Best way to handle 'pop-ups'

Even though browsers have settings to block pop-up windows while surfing, some websites have an irritating ability to sneak pop-ups onto your screen...
    Some viruses and lots of ad-ware and spyware are introduced to PC's using pop-ups, since a person naturally clicks on the X to close the window - the script that is written has action codes written into it, so even moving your mouse across the window to try to get to the X to close it will make the code take off running!
    The easiest way to rid yourself of the pop-up is to use your keyboard!
    Keyboard short-cuts or also called hot-keys are a useful tool.
    Depending on your OS (operating system) and browser just two keys are used to close out the pop-up window.

The lower left hand side you see the Ctrl and Alt keys.
    Across the top are the F-numbered keys, or Function keys

If a pop-up occurs, it is an active or 'focused' window, simply by using the Ctrl and the F4 key OR
    the Alt and F4 key will shut the focused window down without allowing the action scripts to run!
    When using hot-keys remember to press both keys at the same time.

If you think you have already been the victim of ad-ware or spyware give me a hollar and I can help you clean up your PC.

Cathie, thanks for this information. I never knew that C-F4 or A-F4 trick. I can hardly wait for the next pop up and see if I can kill it. I used to think I knew lots about computers, but that was 20 years ago. Now the more I learn about PCs, the more I come to understand how very little I do know.

Comment

• Coral
      Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

hehe... you and me both Jed...10 years ago I got my first PC and learned everything the hard way... just don't hit Alt and F4 if yer doing anything special...
      Last edited by Coral; April 5, 2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎