X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peeeot
    Experienced
    • Oct 23 2005

Rain through the hood scoop?

It's looking like it will be a while before this has a chance to be a problem, but....

When these cars drive in the rain, doesn't water get all over the engine through the hood scoop? I put an open-element air cleaner on that sits right in front of the hood scoop opening and am concerned about how easily water should be able to get into the engine compartment.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Rain through the hood scoop?

The 1955 to 1957 Thunderbirds had a plate behind the hood scoop, so in essence it was non-funtional other than to allow clearance for the air-cleaner. The 1958 to 1960 Thunderbirds never had a blanking plate. I had an open element air filter on my 1959 for years. I drove it in the rain often. I never had a problem because of it and it did not hurt anything.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• peeeot
      Experienced
      • Oct 23 2005

Good, that's what I like to hear! Seems strange though, to let the water come in that way.

Comment

• BlackBird58
        Experienced
        • Mar 9 2005

I agree. Also, no problems starting up after the car wash, when *lots* of water gets in.

Mel

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

A couple of times over the years, when washing the car and once sitting in the rain for a day, water somehow got under the dist cap. It popped (loud) thru the exhaust, missed, sputtered, etc. Just blew it out, wiped it dry and away we went. If you look, the hood scoop exten where it meets the hood is right over the dist. I suspect it got in that way. I'd just be careful washing it. Obviously don't point the hose in there. I now have a 62 A/Clnr on there with a fwd facing snorkle. It'd shoot right in there. It's easy to get over zealous with the hose and forget.

John

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎