Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

I think they are 14" x 5.5", and I don't think they are 0 offset, I believe they have a positive offset. Zero would mean that the mounting surface is in the center of the wheel width, positive offset means that there is more 'depth' on the inside of the wheel than on the outside.

I've got my originals down in the crawl space. If I think about it, I'll go back and see if I can measure 'em.

You are right that the have a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern. That means 5 lugs on a 4.5" diameter circle.

Oh, and on the inch sizes, I'm not sure if you realize this, but it's just fractions of an inch. So, 1/2" = .50, 1/4" = .25, 3/8" = .375" etc. If you can understand that a half (1/2) is bigger than a forth (1/4) and that three fourths (3/4) is bigger still, that should help you. I'm sure that you can find a fraction to decimal conversion chart that will help you keep it all straight. Edit: Here's one and with metric too. Google "fraction to decimal conversion chart" for others.

And 1" = 25.4mm, so for rough conversions, just think that an inch is about 25mm, 4" is about 100mm, etc. That's not exact, but an approximation.

I work in inches vs. metric all the time at work and I've worked in inches for design work for years so I'm pretty familiar with it.
    Last edited by dgs; January 10, 2011, 09:48 PM. Reason: Added link to chart.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

Anders, if you are considering new rims, then I would ask what you are running for brakes? Drums or disks?

If you are considering disks at any point, then now is the time to allow for that possibility. There is a long (long) thread on the process (http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=5023)

Personally, if I could go back to the point in time when I first had the car and was rounding up a decent set of wheels, I would make things easy for myself and go with 15's. I could keep the drums or easily go to a wide selection of disks. Once I bought the rims I then got 14" tires which will essentially last forever (I drive the TBird about 2500 miles per year. This is a corner, in retrospect, I wish I had not painted myself into.

john
      Last edited by JohnG; January 10, 2011, 10:33 PM.
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by JohnG
        This is a corner, in retrospect, I wish I had not painted myself into.

john
        The story of my life in so many ways!!! heheheeh!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

...Once I bought the rims I then got 14" tires which will essentially last forever...
          True, but you can always sell your stuff and buy what you really want. John, you might take a small hit but the sting doesn't last long, my friend. Get what you need and enjoy cruising in your car.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by dgs
            I
            Oh, and on the inch sizes, I'm not sure if you realize this, but it's just fractions of an inch. So, 1/2" = .50, 1/4" = .25, 3/8" = .375" etc. If you can understand that a half (1/2) is bigger than a forth (1/4) and that three fourths (3/4) is bigger still, that should help you.
            I bit out of topic, but this reminds me about a story when a Boxer, who after a long career, might have been slightly damaged in his head was asked "if you do this match, you will get one third of the incombe" and he replyed with: " If I do it, at least, I want a fourth!

Anders, if you are considering new rims, then I would ask what you are running for brakes? Drums or disks?
            I donīt concidering discs. I have also a new set of Lancer Custom 14" wheel covers that I love, just like the ones on the pic. Mine is not painted. Yet .... But I will save them a few years until the car is painted.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Anders; January 11, 2011, 01:18 PM.
            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎