Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coolant leak and the front left side freeze plug and uper timming cover or h2o pump

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BOOMERBIRD
    • Jun 23 2011

coolant leak and the front left side freeze plug and uper timming cover or h2o pump

I noticed water dripping off the left side of the oil pan witch seemed weird tto me. I started to inspect it from the left head gasket and water pump area and noticed some water leaking there some too. This made me think that I just blown a head basket. I did all the checks and found no water in the oil, and so on. I jacked up the car and noticed that water had been leaking from the front left side from the freeze plug witch looked like SAP from a tree but water was flowing out of it for an hr or so after I got home. It was about a quarter cup or so then it stopped. Is there a patch kit to hold it until I do the motor rebuild. If anyone can tell me what I can do for each of these issue to get by for a few.

Any expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Boomer
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You may be able to use some epoxy to seal it temporarily but your best bet is just to replace it. The location that is leaking is one of the easier ones to replace. If you don't feel capable of doing it yourself I'm sure any auto repair shop can do it rather inexpensively.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Mickfly70
      Apprentice
      • Oct 20 2010

I have some experience with freeze plugs. I suggest the expandable freeze plugs as a tempory measure until your rebuild. Once the engine is out then put the metal or brass plugs in. You'll have to clean out all the gunk behind the plugs but if you are going to rebuild the engine at the end of the summer then just shove the rubber expandable plugs in.
      Mick Egan Vancouver Island Canada
      60 Tbird

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Don't mess around with rubber or sealers. Get a good set of brass freeze plugs; do it correctly, and do it once.

We have had much discussion regarding freeze plugs. There are only six in an FE engine (4 in a Y-Block).

It is always easier to work on an any engine while it's out of the car, but this job isn't hard. When will the motor be overhauled?

If your freeze plugs leak, that usually indicates:
        They've been in a very long time (and all need to be changed),
        Rust inhibitor wasn't always present in the coolant,
        There is probably a LOT of rust around your cylinders which should be removed by using a coat hanger and a garden hose in the freeze plug holes. (You're going to get wet, but your engine will run much cooler.) - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎