Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raptor1962
    • Jul 11 2006

C-6 in 61 T-bird

I asked this a while back and didn't get any help. Could anyone tell me if I can put a C-6 transmission into my 61 T-bird? I figure I will have to change the crossmember, but is there any other mods that I am not aware of? Will I be able to keep the swing-away steering wheel? Will I have to have the drive shaft altered? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • KULTULZ

Yes, it can be swapped. The biggect problem I would see is the shift indicator.

The rear crossmember will most likely have to be modified along with the driveshaft length.

Why do you want to change?

Comment

• raptor1962
      • Jul 11 2006

My original trans is toast. It no longer has forward gears. The cost of having the original trans rebuilt is astronomical. Figured that putting in a C-6, which has parts readilly available, would be more cost effective. Besides, I've heard that the C-6 is more bullet-proof than the Cruise-o-matic.

Comment

• KULTULZ

You actually have a medium case MERC-O-MATIC Multi-Drive which is one nice transmission.

Call this 'ol boy Tue morning and see what the price of an exchange will be-

Comment

• Texas Landau
          Apprentice
          • Mar 6 2007

I had mine rebuilt by Jay at Broader Performance and here is what I found:

The guy is very,very good with cruise-o's.

He restores the trans; when I got it back it looked brand new, right down to the hardware.

He can beef it up nicely; my motor is hotter than stock, so he put the heavy duty upgrades on it.

I have put a few thousand miles on mine in the Texas heat with no problems.

He is also extremely reasonable; around $1000.00

I know you won't be able to put in a C-6 for that money, let alone all the headaches. I don't want to sound like a salesman, but I searched far and wide for someone who can do these transmissions properly and Broader kept coming up. Also, I live about an hour from his shop, so I was able to drop off/pick up my trans, and he happens to be a really nice guy.

Hope this helps!

Randy

Comment

• raptor1962
            • Jul 11 2006

Okay, one other question. Is the original trans a 2 or 3 speed automatic? I have had people try to tell it's one or the other. I personally have only felt the car shift once during operation during the time that I have driven it. Thanks again.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Your BIRD was assembled with the Dual Range CRUISE-O-MATIC. It either has a first or second gear start depending on range selected.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎